Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pads under pigloos/hideys

sstickly22

Cavy Slave
I have seen several people with pads under their pigloos and hideys and was going to try this. What do you put in the middle of these???

Shahbazin

Cavy Slave
I'm using leftover scraps of Uhaul felt pad with fleece over them, for my small house pads. When I trimmed a couple of the felt blankets, I ended up with 2 big pieces (can be doubled over & used under a 1x2 grid area) & a several smaller pieces (can be combined or used under pigloos).

Kimberly713

Cavy Slave
Lots of people make the pads like they would a liner for the cage just smaller. You can use really anything washable and absorbent as long as you quilt sew it so it doesnt bunch when washed. I personally have not sewed a thing in my life and probably never will but I've seen guides and whatnot :)

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
I like to do sherpa fleece, a layer of batting, and then a layer of terrycloth - very cushy and comfy for those tender piggy paws!

Thor-Loki's mom

Cavy Slave
I have a fleece and uhaul blanket cage liner (looks alot like the piggy bedspreads), my Loki tends to do his business in his hidey, hes a shy pooper. I made 6 pads for under his hidey, 2 layers of uhaul blanket and one layer of fleece sewn around the edge then a rectangle sewn in the middle of it (kinda like quilting) to keep it from getting all bunched up. He pees ONLY there...so these get changed out alot. I sweep the cage at least 2 times a day, in the morning when I sweep I turn the pad (its about a 2x1 size pad a lil bigger actually), anyway, I turn the pad so that the wet spot will be opposite where his hidey is and it gets a chance to dry out. The next day instead of turning the pad I replace it w/ a clean one, rinse and repeat. It works fantastic. He doesnt potty anywhere else, so I only have to do a full cage change uhhh more like almost 2 weeks.

I sweep like I said twice a day, he only pees on the pad, so those pads get changed every 2 days. I use a pet hair roller on the rest of the cage to get the excess hair out of it and its all good! No smell what so ever, he is happy as can be! :)

Edit: To add pic of Loki on his lil pad

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Oh aren't you lucky that he only pees in one area ! That is really TERRIFIC !! My new cage 6x2 with a 2x2 loft is built, but not ready yet, so I have absolutely no idea what to expect yet from my girls, or where they will pee and poop yet ! I am waiting for my uhaul blankets to come in, which I too, will be putting underneath the fleece. I don't have a sewing machine..so I won't be doing any sewing, so I hope that just laying them down will be sufficient enough. Otherwise, I read that someone on here used safety pins underneath it all...which I may do as well. I hope to save up and get a simple sewing machine come this spring but we shall see. Life has a way of throwing you a curve ball ( OR two..or three....hee...hee...though I laugh now..some of those curve balls hit you right between the eyes, and it HURTS.) What's your piggie's name ? How old is he ?

nvjenn

Cavy Slave
I also use the uhaul pads under fleece. I put them under the hideys and in their kitchen (where they spend most of their time). I change the hidey pads every other day and the kitchen pads daily. I have enough so that I do piggie laundry about twice a week. I find that 15 in x 15 in works out the best for my cage. Good luck.

Shurrim

Cavy Slave
I use leftovers of mattress pads that I used for my liners. I put fleece on top. Or some filling as for cushions.

C. Cole-Chakotay

Cavy Slave
I have some pads that came with cozies that I use under the house. I also will throw extra pieces of fleece in there. You should see her fix it 'just so'.
'

Cocoacavy

Cavy Slave
How about making a homemade pillow? You can cut the fleece to any size and blah, blah, blah, you probably know the rest... :)

natashia

Cavy Slave
I made some just using some left over batting surrounded by fleece and they love them :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.