Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Building wood hideys and tunnels

jenga122

Cavy Slave
I have searched through multiple pages looking for an answer but have not found it yet. I am really good with building but I want to make sure to choose the right products to build with.

I would like to know the best wood for a GP hidey and also if using a small finish nail (countersunk) would be the best way to assemble the house and other objects I decide to build. Thanks in advance. :)

Hdale85

Cavy Slave
I'd just use a non toxic wood glue, generally brads and staples are only there to hold the items together until the glue dries as the glue will be what really holds it together.

Kimberly713

Cavy Slave
As more of a suggestion over a fact, I would say look into getting an untreated pine or aspen wood. Like the shavings we use for pigs, so I would presume it to be safe for them :) I would look more into those types though.

jenga122

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the replies, pine makes since and should be easy to find. Didn't think of using a non-toxic glue... does anyone have any recommendations on a brand name? Glue just makes me nervous since I am not sure. Non toxic could mean to humans but could still be bad for guinea pigs, right?

Schmidgen

Cavy Slave
I don't have any suggestion on the brand/s of glue you should use, but I would recommend checking the manufacturer website of various name brand glues and see if they have a complete list of ingredients. Your could then check these against known toxins and see if it's safe for use around Cavies.

Tmmgrl96

Cavy Slave
I know that Elmer's Glue is generally non-toxic, but I don't know if it's non-toxic to pigs. You might want to send one of the moderators a private message to make sure.

jenga122

Cavy Slave
Alright, thanks for the replies.

Cocoacavy

Cavy Slave
Oh- really? I never knew Elmer's Glue was Non-Toxic.

Leslie

Cavy Slave
You just have to make sure that you don't use any pressure treated wood, since it's treated with ammonia.
I don't see why you couldn't use finishing nails for your hideys to avoid the complication of looking for pet-safe glue. As long as you know what you're doing and the sharp ends of nails won't poke through the wood to present a hazard. The point of finishing nails is to be embedded in the wood and be invisible on the outside. I don't know what's in wood glue, but I also don't know that Elmer's glue would even hold wood together as well as wood glue does.

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
I have searched through multiple pages looking for an answer but have not found it yet. I am really good with building but I want to make sure to choose the right products to build with.

I would like to know the best wood for a GP hidey and also if using a small finish nail (countersunk) would be the best way to assemble the house and other objects I decide to build. Thanks in advance. :)

Funny how I should read this post now for I just sent Leslie a private message regarding wood hidey houses. I purchased a large gnawsome hut from here is the link :https:// drsfoster&Smith.com

It works great so far with my piggies !! And Buttercup, ( I have two girls 4 and 41/2 months) is my inquisitive, possible pigloo tiperover, and they BOTH love this hut ! They chew on it all the time ! They love it and the apple wood chew sticks as well ( though they DO only chew off the bark, not the whole stick, just the bark). Hoped I helped !;)

Last edited:

Leslie

Cavy Slave
I purchased a large gnawsome hut from here is the link :https:// DrsFoster&Smith.com

I wonder what medium was used to hold the pieces of that hut together. I'm looking at the photo on the website, and it looks like countersunk finishing nails to me. See the little dimples on the piece that makes up the front entry? If Kathlaaron can look at her gnawsome hut closer and see if it really is nails, then Jenga will have an answer!

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
I wonder what medium was used to hold the pieces of that hut together. I'm looking at the photo on the website, and it looks like countersunk finishing nails to me. See the little dimples on the piece that makes up the front entry? If Kathlaaron can look at her gnawsome hut closer and see if it really is nails, then Jenga will have an answer!

I just now looked, though I did disturb Buttecup. ( So sorry, Buttercup) I really don't know what kind of glue they use. I sure hope it is guinea pig safe though, for I was told by someone on here to look on Drs.Foster&Smith web site for items, as a good alternative to purchasing from a pet stupid store.

Gee, I just-- I sure hope it is O.K.!! However, it is "glued on" and I would think that it would be safe for pigs. I surely hope so, for it has combated cage biting for my girls really well. They also chew on it quite a bit. If I find out that it is NOT SAFE I will surely do something !! I am a soft-hearted woman but this is different. I need to investigate before I say more, :crackup: Or make further comment.

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
As far as I can see their does not appear to be any nails. I am crafty, but not in all things, especially wood related. If You would like to call Drs.Foster&SMith web site here is their phone # is 1-800-381-7179 it is their customer service phone number. I tried calling already, to find out since I mentioned it. There was no answer of course, but their hours are from 7am-10pm. Good luck with your building hideys, and a big KUDO'S to you !! :) I need to be careful in all regards, when I suggest anything material or otherwise from now on. I hope it is safe. For my piggies have been enjoying and chewing on it for quite awhile now.

Leslie

Cavy Slave
I really don't know what kind of glue they use.

I don't know if there's any glue at all. In the photo, I see nail dimples. And the point of finishing nails is so that you don't see it unless you knew what you were looking for. Just not sure if the product you have at home is exactly the same as the photo. For all I know, the photo is outdated and they use a different process to construct it now. I wouldn't expect you to be able to tell what kind of glue it is just by looking lol I wouldn't know the difference between glues just by sight alone.

For Jenga, I think finishing nails would work fine, whether or not that gnaw hut uses nails, because you'd be hiding the nails from the pigs. So long as they can't get to the nails, don't know they're there, and the nails will hold the structure together well enough that the pigs won't be able to accidentally tear it apart or break it by climbing on top, then I think it should work out.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.