Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

My first guinea pig!

ILoveMillie

Cavy Slave
Hi! I am Izzy or Isabelle! I just adopted my first guinea pig from my local rescue! She is black and white and kind of looks like a panda! She is only 3 months old and I named her Millie! She is a single guinea pig, but she is going to get a lot of attention from me! :) I will try to post picture's but I am not sure how to do it yet! My profile picture is her picture from petfinder! Millie is still a little scared, but I am sure in a couple days she will be used to everything and then love to be held and played with! Right now I have a pet store cage, but I will hopefully be getting a C&C cage for her soon!

Sorry if the picture doesn't work! I am not to sure how to post it!

Thanks again! :)

Welcome!

Do you plan to get Millie a friend? Pigs do best in pairs since they spend most of their day in their cage. BTW Millie is such a cute name!

I bet she will get used to you with time. She's probably not used to all the attention, thanks for adopting her!

The shelter said she is a single piggy but might get along with another guinea pig! Once we are kind of all settled in there might be a chance of getting another guinea pig!

Congrats! She's very cute.

Congrats! She's very cute.

Thanks! I saw her a few weeks ago at the shelters last adoption and she could fit in my hand! Now, only 3 weeks later, she is really big! At first I thought she was a different guinea pig!

I just went downstairs to check on her and she on this little towel, and I put some pellets and hay next to her in case she wants a little snack!

Congratulations on your new baby, she is very cute. Thank goodness for people that love these little guys enough to rescue them and bring them into our hearts!

Congratulations on your new baby, she is very cute. Thank goodness for people that love these little guys enough to rescue them and bring them into our hearts!

Thanks! :) Ya, they are so adorable and sweet!

If that picture works, that is the first picture I took of her!

This one is her on her little blanket!

Oh my!!! She is so cute!!!

Oh my!!! She is so cute!!!

Thanks! She has all white feet except for one black one!! :) I will try to take pictures of them!

I just put some veggies in her cage and she started eating from my hand! She is still not ok with being picked up. She loves to be pet though!

She's gorgeous! I really like the name Millie too. Be sure to keep us posted on how Millie is doing.

Yay! She's so cute, you lucky duck. :p

While she's living in the pet store cage, make sure to take her out of the cage and allow about an hour each day of time in a pig-proof area of the home such as a bathroom or sectioned-off area. Add a few tunnels (you can use boxes and other things around your home), and you're set!

I dunno if you have any soft beds for Millie, but Jens Custom Crafts at (broken link removed) sells great Huts and Corridors which are both favorites of my pigs. The Cozy Cavy at (broken link removed) sells awesome Cuddle Cups and Cozy Caves. Definitely get one of each if you can--Millie will love you for them!

Have you been feeding veggies? You want to feed at least three different veggies each day, amounting to about a cup. Some staples to feed each day: cilantro, yellow or green bell pepper (about an eighth of a pepper daily) and romaine/red leaf/green leaf lettuces. Check out the last two stickies (the threads at the top of the section) in the Diet/Nutrition section.

Good luck!

Wow! Millie is such a sweetie, congrats on adopting her...I'm not yet owned by a pair of piggies but I have been researching all about them for a few months, so I'll definitely be ready when I do get my pair and I can't wait.

I already have the shelter picked out where I'll be adopting them from :cheerful:

Congrats again, on getting your beautiful lil, Millie

Millie looks very happy to own you!!! I love all my piggies.

As for her being afraid of you, well they are all alittle skittish I think. The best thing is to make sure you have some lap time each day. That will get her use to you. I usually feed my piggies treats while they are in my lap (or laying on my chest). Then they associate treats with you and are practically waiting for you at the door when you come home.

Have fun!!! Lots of love to Millie!

Welcome! I just adopted a guinea pig, too. He's living in a store-bought cage and he's single but I hope to upgrade him to a C&C cage soon and getting him a friend. This site has a ton of great information. Hope you find it useful! Have fun with Millie!lol

Thanks for all your nice comments everyone! Millie is already getting used to me and my family! She is moving around more and she ate out of my hand a lot today! We finally got her out of her cage today by getting her into her cuddle cup and then scooping her up! :) I think she actually likes to be held, just not having us try to picked her up from her cage. My brother held her for a while in her cuddle cup while my mom and I did a spot clean of the cage and swept everything up! We moved the cage into our office/guest room and this is her first night down there! She has lots of pellets and hay! No weeks yet though, but I am looking forward to her singing her for meals!

This is what I have been feeding her:
She LOVES Romaine Lettuce
She LOVES Green Bell Pepper
She had a little cube of tomato but wasn't too excited about it
She likes carrots (My best friend brought a huge carrot for her and I cut off a little piece and gave it to her-carrots will not be in her daily meal though because I heard I shouldn't)
She doesn't like celery at all! I cut of the stringy part but she just kind of spit it out.
She LOVES Spinach too!!

Am I feeding her the right things?

I love watching her eat! She is so cute!

Congrats! You sound like you're feeding the right thing. Yes carrots can't be fed daily, because they are sugary. And there's plenty of other veggies you can feed, just check and make sure they are all safe. She's a cutie!

Congrats! You sound like you're feeding the right thing. Yes carrots can't be fed daily, because they are sugary. And there's plenty of other veggies you can feed, just check and make sure they are all safe. She's a cutie!

Thanks! :) She is in her floor time area running around right now! She is hiding in her little tunnel tube thing! :)

After she's 6 months old you should cut back on the spinach. It takes a while for some of them to like tomatoes. Mine love grape tomatoes.

After she's 6 months old you should cut back on the spinach. It takes a while for some of them to like tomatoes. Mine love grape tomatoes.

Sounds good! :) I will have to try grape tomatoes! I gave her a few cubes today again to see if she ate them and she left them in her bowl!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.