Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

What should I do?

iloveanimals

Cavy Slave
Whenever I try to give Buddy floortime he runs away.:sad: It's a little disapointing to know that he doesn't trust me yet. He is able to run around in his cage but he just sits in his pigloo. So today i layered down some newspaper and put his pigloo on it for floortime. He just ran to the pigloo! I then devised a plan to get him to run around. I picked up the pigloo and moved it somewhere else because it would get Buddy to run into it. I kept it going in a circular motion slowly pulling it away and getting some exercise. I felt bad because I was kind of taunting him- but that was the only way to get him moving! I don't know what to do. For Christmas, I was thinking about getting a bigger cage and a friend. But until then what should I do to get him running around.:confused:

MaddysCavys

Cavy Slave
Instead of giving him veggies in a bowl, spread them in different parts of the cage to get him searching & moving around :)

Shurrim

Cavy Slave
Buddy needs time to get used to you. Remember we are giants for them. Try to be at his height. Sit by the cage and let your hand inside, arranging fleece (or any bedding) or do anything in it or pretend to, so he gets comfortable with your hand and doesn't see it as a danger. Don't force him, he will come out. Give him his favorite veggies from your hand. Avoid any loud noise and sudden moves. Once he's ok with you he will start running, don't worry. :)

cuckooforcavies

Cavy Slave
What I do is I put my pig's favorite veggies in my hand. They will hesitate at first, but soon enough they will always eat out of your hand. Once you have this accomplished, put veggies on you wrist. After a few days (it took my piggies about a week or so), they would gain enough trust that they would climb into my hand to get the veggies. By now, the guinea pigs should be a lot more tame and used to you. It just takes practice and time. :)

natashia

Cavy Slave
Litterally for about two weeks my piggies were ridiculously shy, they would run back into their houses as soon as I walked in, and they would only come out again if I sat still for atleast half an hour!

Piggies slowly get more and more social, I think it depends where you keep them too. My piggies are in my bedroom but because I live in such a small place I'm always in there cause I watch tv in there. Cause they're used to constant noise now they never run away.

Some of the things I did to get my piggies to get used to me was feeding them veggies from my hand, moving stuff around their cage and just having my hand in there so they new it wasn't threatning, and gentle petting. I also talk to them constantly! I must go in to the bedroom more than ten times a day just to say "what you doing pigs?!" they know my voice now and wheek when I talk to them, most probably because they associate my voice with veggies!

I found floor time took longer to get them used to, most probably because it's not their familiar territory. You have to be persistant and do it every day as opposed to sporadically. I give my piggies floor time in the hall, and at first they would just sit in the corner and poo. I realised that they would only move if I was there with them, so now I sit cross legged and they run laps around me.

So yes, I advise talking to them constantly (even if everybody thinks you're crazy!) giving them veggie treats from your hand (I pet and then give a veggie, so they would associate petting with veggies) putting your hand in the cage so they know your smell and arn't frightened of the cage, and being noisy!

My piggies also like it if I bring my face close to them, though that might just be my boys, they like faces!

Domino & Bedhead

Cavy Slave
Mine run away all the time because they don't want to go back in their cage and they are getting pretty smart. They don't run when I am taking them out but they give 'er when I am trying to put them back in. I sometimes think they get they are playing games and like to be chased but it's good, gets them active as long as they are running in a safe place. :)

MaggieMae

Cavy Slave
I once put veggies in my hand and laid on the ground like I was dead. Maggie eventually ran up, took a piece, and ran away.

I know it doesn't sound like much but its a start. I did however have to lay there totally still for about half an hour!

They just need time to get used to everything. It helps a LOT to have consistency. Mine love having a schedule.

jendavis

Cavy Slave
We built a large cage for Sadie and she won't come out of her pigloo! She is 4 and a half years old, so she is very used to us and gets lots of attention. It has been 3 days. We put the new cage in the same area as the old one, so that isn't the problem. I thought she would be thrilled but am thinking she really would like to be back in the smaller cage. I tried putting a top on one end thinking the open top might be freaking her out. We have moved things around in the cage, taken the pigloo out for a few minutes at a time, and nothing is working. Suggestions, anyone?

Shurrim

Cavy Slave
it's a bigger space for Sadie. A new place. She needs to get used to that too. Give her more time and she will soon popcorns around. Does she have many places to hide?

Domino & Bedhead

Cavy Slave
Is she still eating and drinking? If she isn't it is really important you may want to get her to the vet. Piggies can hide illnesses really well and hiding can be a part of them trying to hide something that could be wrong (I had a piggy do exactly that and he was sick but I was new to piggies and wish I had known much earlier) . If she is still eating and drinking normally and her weight is staying the same then it could just be getting used to her new surroundings and maybe you could taunt her to come out with different kinds of food she likes and hopefully she will be doing all the piggie things really soon. :)

jendavis

Cavy Slave
That has been my concern - she is taking tomatoes into her pigloo and has eaten some food and hay, but the water doesn't appear to be going down. I broke down and put her back in her smaller cage this morning and she is acting normal again. Do you think she is too old to adjust? I am going to move her back and forth leaving her in the bigger pen for longer periods of time to see if that helps. I want her to get some exericise!
Thanks so much!

jendavis

Cavy Slave
Do you think she is too old to adjust to a new place? I had thought at one point about getting her a companion but that would be way too much for her. Wish I had known to get 2 in the beginning. I put her back in her smaller cage this morning to see if her behavior would get back to normal and she appears to be much happier.

Domino & Bedhead

Cavy Slave
That might be your solution to keep her the way she was. Do you know if her eyes are okay? I had a piggie that went blind and the vet told me to make sure everything stayed exactly the same so he knew where to find it all and that is what I did and just from memory he knew where to find everything including his hidey hut. They do not have the best vision but my little guy developed cataracts....and he was still so happy I was not going to do anything but keep on loving him. :) Just another idea...:)

jendavis

Cavy Slave
I will check her eyes to see if they look cloudy. She is so happy to be back in her familiar surroundings I may have to "retire" the bigger cage for my next cavy.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.