Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C How many can fit?

trexgorawrrrrr

Cavy Slave
Right now I have a 2x5 C&C cage with two adults and three 3day old babies. I'm still not sure wether or not we're keeping them all. I think there are two girls, and one boy. If there's only one boy i'll probably get him neutered to have a small herd of 5. If I end up with 3 girls, and two boys i'll make another 2x5. I saw a cage in the pictures where the cages were stacked (2x6) with a set of cubes between the levels. That's what i'll end up doing if I have two boys. Or if I have two boys I may end up rehoming them together. I'm still not sure, the bf and I are still discussing what would be best since we did not know what we were getting into. So I guess my question is, how many pigs would fit in a 3x5. Would all 5 pigs be able to fit? If I made the cage that way I would probably make an upper deck as well (1x5.) I know that the upper lofts don't count as sq. footage, but I'm just trying to figure out what we'll do.

A 3x5 is equal to 2x7 so that would be big enough for 5 boars or 6 sows.  It should be plenty big enough for the five that you have.

Okay, thanks for letting me know! I am just hoping now that I'm right about having two female babies and one male. I didn't know what I was getting myself into when I got Juno. I thought Juno, and now what I know is the male were going to join Mocha and be my happy trio. Then come to find out the male is a male, and Juno is about to have babies. So, I appreciate your answer.

Another thing so that you can easily determine for yourself if the cage will be big enough for the guinea pigs that you have is 2x3=2sows 2x4=2boars. If you have 2 boars in a 2x4 cage and you want to add 2 more boars to the cage then you would need to at 2 1x2 areas to make it big enough for them. Start with the basic amount of space per gender and add 1x2 area for each additional pig thereafter if that makes since.

I'm pretty sure a 2x3 is only big enough for one pig, not two?

A 2x3 is the minimum for 2 sows and a 2x4 is the minimum for 2 boars. 

I still haven't gotten any other opinions. Not that I doubt you, but even on GPC's front page it says 1 pig for a 2x3. I thought 2x3 was min for one pig no matter gender. I thought that 2x4 was best for two pigs, but better to keep males in a 2x5 so they have more space.

I guess I've been wrong all along???

A 2X3 is the min for one guinea pig.Its also the min for 2 female guinea pigs though a 2X4 is preferred. For two males the min is a 2X4 but 2X5 is preferred.

Okay, so technically for females you can keep one more. So, the 2x4 you can have 3F pigs, but only 2M pigs.

Yes, the reason for that is that boars tend to be more territorial then sows.

I had 4 in a 2x6 and I didn't feel like it was enough space... so I added on a 2x4 as their kitchen/hay area and they're very happy in there. I want to add a 5th pig at some point, but I doubt I'd be able to fit six in my 2x10 combined cage.

i would say 4 boars and 3 sows

i would say 4 boars and 3 sows

WT..?

From my understanding the only way you would be ables to keep multiple boars in the same cage with multible sows (only if you get very lucky) is the amount of sows per boar would have to multiplied by 3 of 4 or maybe even higher than that.

4 boars (for less fighting among them)12-16 sows or posibly even more.

I would not attempt this ever.

You can't keep multiple boars in the same cage with multiple sows without the boars trying or wanting to kill each other.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.