Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Alternatives Is this a good size?

san_sam

Cavy Slave
At last I have settled down with this size for the cage since our house is a little small and a 2*4 cage won't fit my room.. The cage is L shaped. I have attached the picture for cage dimension details and the picture of my cage. Please give me suggestions guys! It is very urgent and I am still working on it!

natashia

Cavy Slave
It looks a little bit too small - why not have a 2x3 instead? or even better a 3x3?

sarahspins

Cavy Slave
I agree, if you can fit this, you can fit a 2x3 no problem.. 1 cube wide is not enough, even if it is L shaped.

lissie

Cavy Slave
1 foot is too narrow for them to even turn around. It is better to keep the cage a rectangle shape than to make a narrow L-shape.

san_sam

Cavy Slave
It looks a little bit too small - why not have a 2x3 instead? or even better a 3x3?

I can't have anything with a width of 2 :( Is this way too small for two boars?

natashia

Cavy Slave
I know it feels like sometimes the cage can take up a lot of room, but when you build it you will see how it doesn't take up that much more room really. Before I joined this site I had a tiny store bought cage, and I expanded to a 2x3, and now a 2x4, and I'm always considering possible expantions. I don't live in a very large place, I live in a 1 bedroomed flat with my boyfriend, our kitchen and lounge are in one room, I don't have a sofa, a bathroom with just a shower (its so small you can wash your feet while you pee) and I keep my piggies in the bedroom, but they still have lots of room to run around, even if I don't!

natashia

Cavy Slave
I have two boys and the minimum is 2x3, and even then it's very cramped. Is there a reason you can have a 3x3? I have to skirt round my cage to get into bed! It's just that two boys would be very squashed in that cage ):

san_sam

Cavy Slave
I agree, if you can fit this, you can fit a 2x3 no problem.. 1 cube wide is not enough, even if it is L shaped.

Half of the cage is going to go under the bed that you could see.. This is all the space I could bargain with my mom..:(

natashia

Cavy Slave
Try explaining to your mum that it's too small for them, maybe show her a bit of information online?

san_sam

Cavy Slave
I know it feels like sometimes the cage can take up a lot of room, but when you build it you will see how it doesn't take up that much more room really. Before I joined this site I had a tiny store bought cage, and I expanded to a 2x3, and now a 2x4, and I'm always considering possible expantions. I don't live in a very large place, I live in a 1 bedroomed flat with my boyfriend, our kitchen and lounge are in one room, I don't have a sofa, a bathroom with just a shower (its so small you can wash your feet while you pee) and I keep my piggies in the bedroom, but they still have lots of room to run around, even if I don't!

Ours is a one bedroomed flat too! The bedroom is actually cramped with a lot of stuff and that's why I am helpless here.. The total square feet for the size I mentioned comes up to 5ft. which I know is small. Can I add and upper level and compensate.. We give them a lot of floor time too..

natashia

Cavy Slave
Upper levels don't count as the square footage unfortunatly. The only thing I can suggest is to try clearing some stuff? There's not much I can offer in help but it's definatly too small for two boys. Have a good think and see if there is any way you can accomodate a larger cage, even just a 2x3 would be better.

san_sam

Cavy Slave
Upper levels don't count as the square footage unfortunatly. The only thing I can suggest is to try clearing some stuff? There's not much I can offer in help but it's definatly too small for two boys. Have a good think and see if there is any way you can accomodate a larger cage, even just a 2x3 would be better.

Thanks a lot Natasha.. :D It's 3 0'clock in the morning here and I am still scratching my head on what to do :(. I will have to decide in the morning.. Thanks a lot for the suggestions..

san_sam

Cavy Slave
Can I make it into 4 grids on the left and 3 on the right? Instead of 3 and 2?

san_sam

Cavy Slave
Or can I make it just with cloroplast! If so I can make it into a total 7.5 square ft cage.

lissie

Cavy Slave
I live in a one bedroom apartment with my husband and 2 kids. My cage is 2x7 (28"x8 feet).
If you show a drawing of your room, I can help you figure out how to arrange furniture so the cage could fit.

natashia

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry if I havn't been much help, I know how hard it is to find space for piggies in such a small place, but if you can find away to make it bigger your piggies really will appreciate it and they will be much healthier and happier.

I think the problem is that its only one cube wide, it's like the difference between a room and a long corridor.

I'm not too sure what you mean by making it all out of coroplast either, sorry I'm a bit dim sometimes!

san_sam

Cavy Slave
I live in a one bedroom apartment with my husband and 2 kids. My cage is 2x7 (28"x8 feet).
If you show a drawing of your room, I can help you figure out how to arrange furniture so the cage could fit.

Here is the sketch of my room Lissie! The shelf is full and so are the cupboards..:(

lissie

Cavy Slave
If you have enough height under the bed, I'd say you can have 2x3 grids under the bed and the extra L-shape could be used as a kitchen/feeding area. If you make the coroplast pan sturdy enough, it could be slide in and out from under the bed. I have seen some pictures in the gallery that has half the cage under the bed.

Do the pigs have to stay in your room? Mine are in the living room. This is how I arranged my room. The pigs' cage is right next to the main entrance (which I forgot to draw in the floorplan).

lissie

Cavy Slave
I drew a picture to explain the cage under the bed.
This would be 3x3 cage with 1x2 L-shape part. Then part of the cage would slide under the bed.

You can make the 3x3 and 1x2 separate coroplast pans and connect it with a ramp.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.