Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Fleece Help!!!!

Lauren326

Cavy Slave
I built a 2x5 cage for my Daisy, but she is still in her temp cage because I want to put fleece as the bedding since the aspen that I am using will cost a fortune to keep having to replace in this large of a cage( she is not potty trained & poops/pees everywhere!) I found fleece at Walmart for a great price & bought 3 yrds of it. I already washed it once, but know I have at least 2-3 more times to go. Here is my problem: I have never sewed in my life! I have a chepo sewing machine, but I need help. I feel like instead of just cutting it to size & using clips, I should be sewing the edges so it doesn't come apart or shed all over the place. I plan on using the U-Haul blanket underneath which I assume I will also need to cut & sew the sides....how do I do this??? I don't plan on sewing them together b/c like the reviews said, it is difficult because of the thickness & this way I can wash & hang dry seperatly. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

lissie

Cavy Slave
You don't have to sew fleece. The edges won't fray.
You can just layer everything on top of each other. No sewing needed.

Leave the fleece longer/wider than the blanket so you can tuck it underneath the blanket.

cam767

Cavy Slave
I cut my fleece and didn't bother sewing it. It didn't shed, curl, or come apart in the washer and dryer. On the Uhaul you will probably need to sew the edge you cut. If you didn't cut it yet you can always just fold it...at least until you feel more confident about sewing. I would say to get some cheap material and just use the sewing machine to practice with. That's what I did. I'm not going to win any sewing prizes but I'm glad to say that my stuff doesn't fall apart either! AND I didn't sew my fingers to the material!!! lol I'm going to try to sew my fleece to the uhaul blankets but haven't found the courage yet. :rolleyes:

Helena's Cavies

Cavy Slave
Hi,

i'm new with piggies, but i've had hamsters & cats before and still have dogs ❤️

fleece doesn't need to be hemmed as it will not fray or curl

please don't sew fleece to another kind of fabric or wash it with another kind of fabric in the same laundry batch because fleece WILL catch all the lint from others, a bit all over, plus lumps here and there (t-shirts, jeans, flanel blankets, towels...) :sick: only exception is something that's 100% polyester ;)

Lauren326

Cavy Slave
THank you so much for all the advice! I guess I will not be sewing the fleece afterall! YAY! lol. I haven't bought the U-haul blanket yet, plan to this weekend, but might just try the folding technique :) Any other advice would be greatly appreciated! I keep learning so much from you all!

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
I'm glad you're going to be using fleece! It is really quite awesome. :) If you want sewed cage liners, which you may find to be true once you've used fleece for a while, I know a couple great places that sell cage liners:

(broken link removed)

SilverBeat Creations by SilverBeatShop on Etsy

My best advice to you is to make/get two sets of fleece and towels. It makes everything so much easier. When you only have one set, you have to coordinate everything and long story short it is just a lot harder and more of hassle. With two sets, you can just change out the sets and wash whenever you can/feel like it.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.