Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Coroplast Coroplast cut too big... Any help?

Kimberly713

Cavy Slave
Well I was dead set on cutting the coroplast .5inch less than neccessary so it would slide in and out easily but my dad insisted it would be too small and barely cut less than necessay. Well now I have the 2x4 piece cut and taped, he went to bed after everything was cut and I taped it together and went to slide it in and it doesn't fit! It would if I pushed on it enough but I need it to be slideable for cleaning. Any suggestions on how to fix it?
I can probably just take .25 of an inch off each side and tape it on the bottom, but what can I use to close the 'seam' that's cut already? Would a hot glue gun work??:confused:

thebeachdreamer

Cavy Slave
In my opinion if it will fit, I would leave it. I don't take my coroplast out to clean it.....of course I have a 2x7 so it won't go out of my room in one piece, lol!!

You don't want it to be too much smaller than the grids because the piggies might climb over into the space. I use a natural spray cleaner on my coroplast when I clean my cage. Spray, leave for 5 minutes and wipe clean with paper towel!

Trust me, I have made several revisions to my current cage and cutting coroplast and getting it "right" can be very aggravating. Then you have to tape it together and hay and poop can get stuck in the crevices.....I would leave it!

pigsmakemesmile

Cavy Slave
Trim it down and use duck tape on the outside (not inside) to hold the seam together. I suggest duck tape as it's easily removeable if more trimming is needed.

Kimberly713

Cavy Slave
I don't have any duct tape. I can't leave it I HAVE to be able to slide it out I have a 2x4 stacked closed cage so if they ever want it cleaned it needs to be slideable.
It's JUST big enough to where its too big to fit, unless I put some serious bending on it. Ugh shoulda just went with my first hunch lol

thebeachdreamer

Cavy Slave
A hot glue gun should work to hold it closed for the night on the ends, but I think you would need to get some duct tape tomorrow to close the seam. I read a post on here where one of the members made her hay rack using one.

Kimberly713

Cavy Slave
Well its ruined... I'm gonna have to buy more now... And wait 2 weeks before it comes in.... And I'm not letting him help me next time. Well I can at least do the top tonight and they just won't have acceess to the bottom for a few weeks.

Thanks for the help though, I'll get some duct tape for next time.

MaggieMae

Cavy Slave
I just use clear packing tape... I'd cut the side off, trim some off the end and then tape the side back on.

I put clear packing tape on the inside too, I am just really careful to make sure it is down in a way where the piggies wont be tempted to pull it off... However with all my cleaning, it has never even pulled up enough to make that possible.

It creates a seal and you barely even notice it. Especially if it is on a side you don't look at usually.

Kimberly713

Cavy Slave
I just use clear packing tape... I'd cut the side off, trim some off the end and then tape the side back on.

I put clear packing tape on the inside too, I am just really careful to make sure it is down in a way where the piggies wont be tempted to pull it off... However with all my cleaning, it has never even pulled up enough to make that possible.

It creates a seal and you barely even notice it. Especially if it is on a side you don't look at usually.

I will do that. I thought about that but figured theyd find it. I will just have to clip the fleece on rather than tuck it. I got the kitchen area done so far, no mistakes (imagine that :silly:) And I am about to start the 2x3 loft area. And until tomorrow the old messed up white coro can stay and I'll get some tape and patch it up.
Thanks

GPonnett

Cavy Slave
I also use clear packing tape. You can just cut one end a small amount and re- tape. I would try and just score it again (following the exact process as original, a short distance from the original), and repeat the turning up of the side and overlapping the corner flaps. This way there should only be a small opening, at the bottom in 2 corners and you can tape it tighter on the outside or almost overlap the corner. Then just be aware of it and use extra bedding in that corner and tape the outside to protect anything from running through.

Kimberly713

Cavy Slave
Well I managed to finish the top level almost entirely just now, with no problems (Thank Goodness). I just though maybe you all would like to see how its turning out. I need to do the first floor tomorrow morning, a ramp, and cut the ramps hole (Which makes me nervous) :sorry:

ohmypig!

Cavy Slave
Your cage looks adorable! :) Nice colour combinations!

pinky

Cavy Slave
Get plastic zip ties and use those to hold some of the grids together instead of using all plastic clips. That way, you can adjust the sides and leave the coroplast alone. I didn't have enough clips so I used some zip ties and it worked perfectly; plus it seems sturdier too.

Kimberly713

Cavy Slave
Get plastic zip ties and use those to hold some of the grids together instead of using all plastic clips. That way, you can adjust the sides and leave the coroplast alone. I didn't have enough clips so I used some zip ties and it worked perfectly; plus it seems sturdier too.

That's what I had to do on my first cage, but it was a 2x4 open cage on the floor. This one is attached to a stand and everything, so I'd have to take it entirely apart, which I think would be more work probably this cage was a pain!

Thanks ohmypig! I love it, it looks so much better than the white coroplast and they love the kitchen as well.

I'm going to get packing tape today, clear, and just cut the one side off and trim it down about .25" and tape it back. I'll just put that side in the back of the cage :p

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.