Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick baby guinea pig dragging his hind end

kkkoen

Cavy Slave
My 5 week old male guinea pig started dragging his hind end yesterday. He is also laying on his side and not really moving around his cage. He eats if I put him in front of his bowl. I took him to the vet and they did an xray which showed no fracture or break. He has a slight fever and swelling in his thighs. The vet said it could be a virus of the brain such as meningitis. He is keeping him there tonight and giving him meds. Does anyone have any help they can offer me? I am really worried and the vet is unsure what is really going on.

Silverbeat

Cavy Slave
I would like to add info from the chat: this pig doesn't have a wheel in his cage. Hope that answers that question.

Kipsie

Cavy Slave
What was he doing/eating before all of this happened?
It was all-of-a-sudden?

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Did the vet prescribe any medications like antibiotics?

Is he getting enough vit c?

eta: how long have you had him? It may be he was ill when you got him but he was hiding it. On your thread on gl you mention he is a class pet. He may have been mishandled.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.