Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Preggo Piggy

Lady_Magoo

Cavy Slave
My friend Theresa is the one who introduced me to guinea pigs. She recently adopted a piggy who was rescued by a private shelter from a more well known shelter. The private shelter took the piggy and also another piggy before they could be put down.

Theresa has had Gravy for about a month. When she took in Gravy, she was warned that she may be pregnant because the other pig was a male and the well known shelter had told them that they both were girls. Once receiving the pigs, they realized that the one had been mis-sexed.

Last night Theresa called and said that she believe Gravy is pregnant. She's been doing a little research during her time away from work to prepare for whatever may happen. She believes that in the next two weeks or so Gravy will give birth.

I got curious...How many pups would she possibly be expected to have? Sadly she is only about 5 months old. Theresa thinks she can feel 3 small lumps in her rear, and she looks similar to a preggo piggy she found on the net who was pregnant with 2 pigs.

She is also in a large cage with Oreo and Penny, both being 9 month old piggies. Oreo is sweet tempered, and Penny is most of the time. She has been known to bite when she really really wants your attention or if she is uncomfortable. Should Theresa separate Gravy even after just introducing her? Would Gravy be okay with them?

A little background on why her name is Gravy. Tragically, Theresa's friend Amy fell off a cliff on a rainy afternoon about 15 months ago. Her nickname was Gravy (for what reason I have never found out). She resembles a memory of Amy, who was only 20 when she fell from the cliff. Amy was life flighted to a hospital where surgery was preformed, and died about 10 hours later in ICU from what I understand. She would have graduated a year later with a degree in Pre-Vet.

Guinea pigs can have 1-8 pups, although the normal is 2-4 about.

I wanted to let everyone know that my friend's piggy had babies a week ago around. She had four beautiful little babies and Mamma is doing very well. The first one she popped out is black and white with a black patch over her eye. She has mohawk hair like her mommy. The second two are basically identical. A goldish golor with white on their noses and head and neck. The fourt baby in my opinion is simply beautiful. She is black, brown and white. She has a white ring around her back. Well, we do not know if they are all girls, but I am so use to girls I call them all shes.

Theresa went to DC for school this week, so her mom is keeping a close eye on the piggies for her. Two of them already have been picked out for homes and Theresa is going to possibly keep baby number four if she is actually a girl. Depending on if her mom is willing to keep one for me until December (I live three hours from them) I will be taking one and I do not care which one it is if it is a girl :D

They were all so beautful! It is amazing how adorable little piggies are!

That's great that babies and mom are happy and healthy!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.