Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

A little Cheese and Butter

toughgrrrl

Cavy Slave
Hello all! I am a new piggy owner. My daughter just turned 4 this summer and for the last year all she has ever asked for is a guinea pig. I am not sure where she got the idea, since I have never owned one, nor do we know anybody who has them, but I am very glad that we did. Several months ago I started researching guinea pigs, what they need, and how they live. I stumbled onto this site and I have been lurking here, gathering information and ideas ever since.

After doing all the research I could, I contacted our local piggy rescue and went through the process of adopting our new boys. They were lab animals who spent the first year or so of their lives in a glorified plastic shoe box, when they didn’t have to run mazes or do other tasks. We went to the rescue and my daughter and I fell in love with these two right off the bat.

I brought home all the materials to build their C&C cage, and thanks to all the wonderful information on this site, I think I did pretty well. They now live in a 2x4 cage with a 1x2 kitchen and a 1x2 loft area. I designed the ramps in my cage so that they have a max amount of running space on the ground floor. They have Carefresh in the kitchen and fleece everywhere else. I have added pictures of our piggies to my profile. I have also added pictures of our cage. Any and all advice and suggestions on the cage would be very welcome.

We ran through a lot of possibilities of names for our new little guys, but my daughter finally settled on Cheese and Butter. A little bit unconventional, but she was adamant about them, and they don’t seem to mind, hehe. They have been home with us for less than a week and we have been adjusting things for them a little bit. I have an extra grid set for their floor time so they can have a 3x5 running area, and we have been working to get them used to being around us. Yesterday, I sat in the play pen with them while they ran around in the hay and toys, and they already seem to be a little more relaxed. I let my daughter scoop pellets into their bowl, and help me to vacuum the cage each day, and I take care of the rest of the chores. I have to say this has been a great way to get her to eat veggies too….she gets a kick out of eating lettuce and carrots like her piggies do.

So far the only concerns I have are that Butter will walk up and down the ramps with no problems, but it seems like Cheese just stays full time under the hay basket in their cage. I am not sure if that is good or not. They get a couple of hours each night on the floor, but the rest of the time he only stays in the top. Also, it doesn’t seem like they are eating very much hay at all. I have the same type of timothy hay that they were fed at their rescue and during the day they don’t seem to eat very much. When they have floor time, I spread it out on the blanket and they seem to nibble it right up, but other than that I do not see much hay eating. They get fresh veggies twice per day, a small offering of pellets, and a big basket of hay and the hay level doesn’t appear to be dropping.

I am really excited to “officially” join the forums here, thanks for having such a great place to come and share!

Sirene

Cavy Slave
Welcome, from a fellow Texas member! It's great to hear that you have given a good home to two piggies in need. They must think they're in heaven now!

Can they access the hay basket OK? Mine eat more from the floor than from the hayrack, too - I think sometimes it's placed a little high for them.

We'd love to see pigtures when you have some! :)

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
Welcome to GPC! Your rescued piggies sound so cool. I bet they think they are in heaven.

I hope you continue to enjoy the forum like many of us do.

Duffinvt

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome ! My two gals were named Pancake and Waffles by the former owner'.s son. I really did not like the names so I renamed them names I liked.

Good luck with them and keep coming back to the boards for advice.

toughgrrrl

Cavy Slave
Thanks so much!

(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)

Those should (I hope) take you to the pictures I took the first day that we brought them home.

Thankfully, they seem to be eating their hay much better now. I have rearranged thier kitchen area a little bit to make it easier to access for them, I think I will get some new platters/bowls that might fit the area a little better. They still prefer to eat the hay I have on the floor during their play time, but the hay in the cage is finally being eaten as well.

They still dont seem to be using all of the cage. One usually stays up in the kitchen, and one stays in the loft most of the time. In the last few days I haven't seen them down in the bottom area at all. I am not sure if that is normal or not. There are some poops down there, so I know they have to be getting down there a little bit. I am wondering if maybe I need to add some extra toys or tunnels down in the bottom area.

They are already warming up to the family. Not quite used to us yet, but they no longer squeak like they are dying when we hold them! I felt like such a jerk the first couple of days! I was also able to spice up thier veggie time with the menus and diet info here, and I think they are even happier. They have started to wheek at me when they can smell me making thier veggie plates. It is really neat to have them become part of the family, we all are so happy having them!

skinnypigs

Cavy Slave
I bet Cheese and Butter are so thankful to be rescued! I'm sure they are enjoying their awesome cage!

Toadies

Cavy Slave
Hello and welcome, your boys are beautiful. I used to use a clean cardboard box, about 12x12x6, for a hay box and my piggies loved it and ate a lot of hay. They pooped, peed and ate and didn't have to move an extra muscle. Now I use a small cat litter box but my boy doesn't care, he can still do all of the above with abandon.

Cogni

Cavy Slave
Congrats for adopting the Dairy Boys!! I didn't know that lab animals could end up in a rescue--I am very glad of it.
Can't wait to see pics of your little guys. I am so glad you have done your homework re: all their needs, and are giving them a blessed life!

louie_joey

Cavy Slave
Congrats and welcome to GPC! Your pigs are such cuties! I am glad that they are in a good home!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.