Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size Cage renovations

DaisyLily

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Yesterday I got bored and had some extra coroplast so I decided to upgrade my two piggies cage. It started out as a 2x6 L shape with a 1x4 loft then a 5x3 with a 1x3 loft and finally it is a 3x6 with a 1x3 loft. I think this will be the final size(maybe?). I will post pictures in my gallery soon. Has anybody else changed their cage lately?

thebeachdreamer

Cavy Slave
LOL!! I have changed my cage 5 times in 2 weeks....I'm a newbie and I haven't even posted pictures because I can't decide how I want it. It started out as a 2x5, then a 2x5 with a 2x2 loft, then a 3x5 with a 1x2 loft, then a L shape...one side 2x6 and the side that made the L was a 2x5 with a 2x3 kitchen inside (took up my W H O L E office).

My girls are so funny, they are very curious and just hang out and check out what I am doing....then when I finish and get it re-decorated they run laps from one side to the other like race-car drivers!

I finally finished it today and I think I really like this. It is an L (one side 2x6 then bend is 2x5 (2x3 of it is kitchen). The only addition I might add is a hay loft, but for now the hay is working in the kitchen. I just think they would enjoy being able to dive in it :)

Fortunately I found a sign guy who has a small shop and is selling me the coroplast sheets at $13. I've been back 3 times (he calls me the Guinea Pig Lady) They are all cut to pieces and re-taped a hundred times. I wanted black from the beginning and he didn't have it. He just called me today and said he could get me 2 sheets. YAAAY

I am a pro at it now (plus he said he'd cut it and score it for me this time since I keep coming back:) so I am excited that I'll have it all set up and ready for pictures by this weekend!

It's an obsession I'm afraid!! :)

GPonnett

Cavy Slave
Wow that is a pretty big size cage. I just finished my cages this weekend. I hope I am done for a while, but I must admit it is fun!

DaisyLily

Cavy Slave
I love coming up with cage designs! The piggies reactions make all of your hard work worth it. I kept thinking my 5x3 wasn't big enough when really I could keep 4 pigs in their comfortably.

thebeachdreamer: How many pig do you have? Your cage sounds huge! My cage takes up almost 1x3 of my room but I don't mind I never used that space for anything important.

fresian.m

Cavy Slave
I just finished my 3X5 on a stand under my bunkbed. :D

thebeachdreamer

Cavy Slave
DaisyLily:

I have 3 girls (Daisy, Rosie and Lil' Bit) I would like to add a nuetered male to balance out the estrogen a bit.....lol! I am watching craigslists and petfinder.

It takes up half of the room, but after watching them run from one end to the next for 5 minutes without stopping, I can't imagine having anything smaller!

It is 7 feet along one wall and then 7 feet along the other wall. My little office is only 10x10, so I have just enough room to have my desk on the other wall and my chair is pretty much between my desk and them :)

It's probably a R E A L L Y good thing that the room is so small. I know myself well enough to know how dangerous a big room could be for me...lol

fresian.m

Cavy Slave
Oh jeez. Now I might want to make a 4X5!!!! Hearing about all these big cages makes me want a bigger one. My 3X5 looks so small. But then again, after looking at any cage for too long I think it's small.

thebeachdreamer

Cavy Slave
I know what you mean! I was sitting in there just a little bit ago, pondering the hay loft and hubby walked by and said, "Oh great, I see the wheels turning...are you expanding again....hey kids, you better run!"

I had a 3x5 with a 2x2 loft and I did not like it at all. I am doing newspaper/towels/fleece until I can afford a piggy bedspread and it was a complete nightmare to change up under the loft because the cage was so wide (my belly is wide too, so that doesn't help:) and then add the support grids and it was just too labor intensive.

The girls would also pick those tight hideaway areas to do all their peeing. If I do a loft, it will only be at the end of the 2x6 and the kitchen will be underneath. To me, if possible...it is much better to go longer than wider if you have the space.

I love looking at everyone's pictures and getting ideas!

Last edited:

fresian.m

Cavy Slave
Yeah but unfortunately my cage is stuck in my room.... so I can only expand it so far...

thebeachdreamer

Cavy Slave
I missed your post about the bunkbed! That's a really great idea!

fresian.m

Cavy Slave
Yeah. I just really want to expand now. Though I went from a petstore cage->2X3.5->3X5

My parents wouldn't want me to expand.

DaisyLily

Cavy Slave
thebeachdreamer: I know what you mean about big rooms being dangerous. I have often wondered if I really need a bed!

The 3x_ cages can be hard to clean I pull mine off the wall and go behind it witch makes it much easier.

fresian.m I would love to get a loft bed so I can do just that. 3x5 is a pretty good size for two males. I know what you mean about something looking small after a while. I was perfectly happy with my 2x6 until I saw a 5x3 and them after a while that looked too small too.
Its too bad your parents wont let you expand. Luckily my parents don't care because my cage is in my room although my mom does think I'm crazy! Good luck convincing them!

guineapig67

Cavy Slave
I wanted my cage to be a 2x5 with a 1x2 loft but the space where I wanted to put my cage was too small. So this weekend I built my first cage which is a 2x4 with a 1x2 loft. The ramp is a piece of wood attached with eye screws. I will put fleece or carpet on it oviously. I will order piggybedspreads sometime this week and on July 31, I adopt my first guinea pigs!!

fresian.m

Cavy Slave
Yeah I know it's plenty big for them... I just dream bigger.

Hehe sometimes I wonder if I could just take out my top bunk so I could go longer (the 3X5 JUST fits) instead of wider, then sleep on the floor. I love sleeping on the floor. If I went wider I wouldn't be able to reach the back of the cage to clean or catch piggies! I really want like a 3X6 or 3X7. But I can dream on! I don't have room. My 3X5 is already jammed under there...

Just all these new toys that I got makes it look small. :D

brindyzoeycandy

Cavy Slave
Haha, I'm getting futon bunk bed but I'm actually going to use it, lol!

I started out with a 3x5 with a 1x5 loft...then to a 2x5 stacked with a 1x3 third level, then to a 2x5 with a 1x2 loft, and NOW I'm making it a 3x5 2-grid high (for a bunny I might be getting), with a 3x5 stacked on top of that for the pigs with a 1x3 loft. The original cage had been there for a little while but the renovations after that has pretty much been going on for three weeks!

DaisyLily

Cavy Slave
I would love to just put my mattress on the floor and put it against the wall during the day so I would have more walking around room. A wider cage would be hard. If I try to reach the back corner under the loft I get muscle cramps in my legs. When my brother moves out I would love to take his room and have my room be just for the piggies. Then I could make a 4x10!

Maybe you could take some toys out and rotate them to give your boys more room.

fresian.m

Cavy Slave
Nah. I'll must make it bigger. If I can make room... somehow..

DaisyLily

Cavy Slave
brindy: I have a futon bunk bed but I cant make it a couch because I broke it(not putting it up right then sitting on it) or else I would have a ton of room. I saw the drawings for your cage it looks great! I would love to see pictures when its done.

DaisyLily

Cavy Slave
Nah. I'll must make it bigger. If I can make room... somehow..

You could pull your bed off the wall about 18 inches so that you could get behind a 4 wide cage to clean..... or just do away with the bed and sleep with your pigs.

brindyzoeycandy

Cavy Slave
brindy: I have a futon bunk bed but I cant make it a couch because I broke it(not putting it up right then sitting on it) or else I would have a ton of room. I saw the drawings for your cage it looks great! I would love to see pictures when its done.

I will def. be posting pics of it. It looks really nice so far!

fresian.m, maybe if you put a piece of board down you could make it bigger?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.