Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello, new to site

lnicholson75

Cavy Slave
Hi my name is Lisa! I have 2 piggies. My females name is Cutie and the male is Justin. I am new to this site but I have been a piggie owner since December 26, 2009. Originally or first piggie was my daughters christmas present. I had never had a guinea pig but when I was in college I had a few hamsters and I figured it wouldn't be all that different. If I had known that piggies were such a joy to have as pets I would have owned one a long time ago! After Easter my daughter had money that was given to her for the holidays and she wanted another one. I loved Cutie so much that I agreed and we got Justin.

At the beginning I wanted to mate the 2 pigs at least once but the more I read about pregnancies the more I feared to let it happen but by then it was too late. My husband saw the piggies in a private moment on April 27th. So in other words we are pretty sure Cutie is pregnant. She has gotten quite fat in the past few weeks! I really regret letting my piggie get pregnant but what can I do now. I love both my piggies and I will love their babies Hopefully she doesn't have 8!!!

These are my 2 babies!!! Oh and our bearded dragon Samson in the middle picture

MBlight

Cavy Slave
Welcome, Your kids are beautiful! I'd just be a bit careful with the beardie so close to other animals. I know they're not aggressive by nature but it just takes one time for them to get spooked and if they bite another animal it will inevitably be fatal because of the bacterium in their mouths.

Hope you enjoy your stay!

1frankie7

Cavy Slave
Sorry I accitendtally double posted.

Welcome to GPC!

1frankie7

Cavy Slave
Have you seperated the male from the female? If not, you need to or she could get preagnant again.

Welcome to GPC!!

Feeorin215

Cavy Slave
Welcome to GPC! if you need anything, let me know. I'll get answers!

lnicholson75

Cavy Slave
I watch the beardie closely when he's around the pigs. To tell you the truth it's the pigs that always end up bitting the beardie. Poor thing just sits there and he always gets a piggie bite on the tail! We got Cutie (female piggie) and Samson (beardie) the same day. At first Samson would open his mouth, display beard and hiss at Cutie. Now I guess he is used to them and he so mellow that the piggies do whatever they want to him. But when I see they are getting to close to each other I always put my hand in the middle so the one who is going to get bitten one day is me for sure!!!

Yes the piggies are seperated. I put them together for supoervised playtime once in a while because they call out for each other but then as soon as I put them together the female fights with him and wants nothing to do with him. Its a love hate relationship!

SFailed186

Cavy Slave
You should not let them "play" together. Constantly putting them together and separating them is extremely stressful for them. That is probably what is causing the fighting. Separate them for good.

smiley222922

Cavy Slave
welcome (=
in my oppinion you should get male piggy fixed and then you can have a happy family of piggies

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave
Welcome! I would strongly recommend you nueter Justin so that he can go in with Cutie. You will have to wait 3-4 weeks following the procedure though as it can take awhile for the sperm to die off. Alternatively, they both need a buddy of the same sex. Guinea pigs are very social animals and require company.

I would also suggest you find a good cavy vet now. It is possible that complications could arise before, during or after the birth so it would be a good idea to know where to go should something happens.

lnicholson75

Cavy Slave
Thanks pigsforlife! There is only 1 exotic pet vet in this city! Hard to believe there is just 1 in all of Miami, FL. I've heard that neutering is also dangerous. Have you ever had a cavy neutered? I am going to contact the vet this week. I was in the hospital myself a couple of weeks ago due to health issues so I just haven't had the chance to call.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Un-altered males and females really shouldn't have play time together, supervised or not. The mating instinct is way too strong to risk it. I agree with the other posters who suggested looking into neutering for the male.

frillint

Cavy Slave
I just had my male neutered so he can be with my females. He got neutered on Wednesday. It's only been about 5 days and he is almost completely back to normal. He is just a little bored without anything in his cage besides water, hay, and food. He is much happier than being in the small petstore cage for the 1st three days. Just make sure the vet is very cavy savvy and ask lots of questions before the surgery. Also make sure you research the medication(antibiotics and pain medicine BEFORE you give them to your pig. My piggy is doing great his incision looks good. You will have to clean your piggys cage often to prevent infection. You should check out the cavyspirit site on neutering.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.