Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Litter Training Litter Box

medusa_stew

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
I have a litter box with carefresh in it, and I put a good handful of hay when needed in the back of the box, But lately the girls started getting on top of it and spreading it around, I pick it up and fluff it around, Is it safe? Is it sanitary? I know they poop and pee in it cause its there litter box, They are almost completely potty trained, I just wanted to ask cause I don't want them eating hay with pee and poop in it...

I just asked this the other day, but did not get a response yet. I am worried about this also. My pig is showing signs of a UTI again and I am wondering if this is how she got it again.. They keep peeing and pooping in their hay, so I took their litter box out, made a coroplast one lined with underpad, towel and fleece, then took a kleenex box and filled it with hay so they could not jump into it, next to my coroplast litter box lined with fleece I made them.. I am gonna make a hay rack out of coroplast, there is an awesome design in the photo gallery, compliments of Lissie that I am gonna make, SOON! I do not know the answer to this, but I changed the way they are getting their hay today, till I build this other one in the next week. This way, they stand on the fleece litter box to eat their hay out of the kleenex box I stuffed full next to their tray and the pee wicks through instead of mixing in their hay.. I am just worried this is how my pigs may have got an UTI from one another again, maybe? Nevertheless, I figure if i am right or wrong, if they have a bladder infection again, I can make sure their hay doesn't get any infection on it.. I am curious to hear a response in this

How often do you change the hay in the litter box? If you are worried, you can add a hay rack above the box so they'll always have clean hay to eat.

If the hay is saturated with pee or molded or something like that, then replace it will new hay. At that time, it is not sanitary to feed. I agree with Lissie's suggestion of a hay rack above the litter box.

You can still put some hay for them to lay down in the litter box, but it's better to have clean hay available too. That's what I do, and the hay in the litter box gets replaced twice a day.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.