Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Opinion on this hidey please

Gracespigs

Cavy Slave
I bought today a Living World Log Cabin for my piggies today. It says safe to chew, but I do not trust this always just because it says it on the box. It is made of real wood. I noticed though when I put it in, my one guinea pigs started to sneeze the minute she went in it. She used to sneeze when I used Carefresh bedding, she had a URI in April/May and has almost totally stopped sneezing since I had switched to fleece. Now that I put this in there, she started to sneeze and she is chewing it a bit. I was playing with her on the floor for 2 hours, not one sneeze, then I put this in and she went up to it and started to sneeze immediately.

Does anyone have any opinions on this Log cabin for safety as far as chewing, bacteria, etc, could it cause an allergy possibly?

hard to say she could have an alergy to that specific wood, you could always take the hidey out for a few days and see if it stops if it does stop, alergy is probably your issue.

It is weird, I have been watching her ever since I put it in. She only sneezed about 4-5 times the first 3 minutes she was snooping around it, not she stopped. I wonder if she is just really sensitve to new things. I do have a lodging log tunnel, never seemed to bother her. I am starting to wonder if she is just got a super sensitive sniffer. She is acting totally normal now. Maybe it is nothing. She stopped chewing it for now, I mainly am worried about the chewing. I am gonna monitor it closely to see how both things go. The roof on it, the wood seems kinda flaky. I have not read a whole lot about the safety of these types of homes. It does say safe to chew, just want to be extra sure. Maybe the intial curiousity of it will end and she won't chew it to death.. ;) Does anyone know of anything happening to the pigs if they chew it, can they get sick, obstructions of anything like that? I am a paranoid mom, always want to sure of what I am doing. They are sleeping in their pigloos now, like little angels..

I think plastic pigloos are much better than wooden huts because they can washed. I don't use any wooden objects in my cage because they are porous and can become breeding grounds for bacteria.

There is probably sawdust or something of the like on the item because it probably wasn't cleaned off in manufacturing or whatever. (I take woodworking classes)

However, like Pinky said, wood is porous and it can mold easily. We used to have a wooden hidey that my dad built, but my girl Freya would jump on top of it and pee. Quickly, it became molded and had to be disposed of. Personally, I stick to items that can be washed, for the most part.

chewing on wood is usualy safe as long as it is not treated, espacially if it says safe to chew. but just remeber to throw it out when it gets icky so it does not mold

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.