Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Litter Training Litter Box?

• Thread starter amandaelizabeth
  • Start date

amandaelizabeth

Cavy Slave
Right now I am researching before becoming a piggy owner. =]

I've never heard of using a litter box until tonight. I've heard some people say they put snacks in the litter box during play time. I've also heard some people say they use one during play time in hopes of them using it to potty.

I've never heard of cavies using a litter box. I thought they were like most rodents and would go where they are standing.

What are your experiences with a litter box? Do you recommend using one? For what purpose?

Any answers are greatly appreciated.

Cogni

Cavy Slave
Piggies will poop all over the place, favoring corners but still letting it drop wherever they happen to be, but some get used to peeing in one spot. I have a kitchen area with aspen and they like to pee in there, digging in a bit with their back feet. Unfortunately they also pee on the fleece, I guess when they are too lazy to go to the kitchen! Some people are successful in getting them litter trained for pee. I haven't been, but it would be so nice not to have smelly towels under the fleece.

amandaelizabeth

Cavy Slave
What do you put in their litter box? What do you mean by "kitchen area"?

3lilpigs

Cavy Slave
You can also encourage litter box use by putting hay in or above the box. This helps more with poop because it goes in one end and comes out the other pretty quickly. I think its awesome that you're looking into everything before making a decision. Good luck researching! :)

Katrinah

Cavy Slave
I have a "kitchen" area that is 1x2 grids, I used leftover coroplast to make an insert for the litter area/kitchen which I put carefresh litter in. I put their water bottle, hay rack and pellets in here. For the most part they go pee in the litter area and most of their poop there. However they seem to like doing the "duty" in their cozy cups too :yuck: But for the most part the fleece stays pretty clean.

CavyLuver516

Cavy Slave
My pigs litter box (a small plastic drawer) site under their hay rack. It's just there to catch most of the hay, and because they seem to love to pee in that corner. I started to use Yesterday's News litter for cats, and it's great stuff!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.