Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hey everyone!

neko_chan

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone! I wanted to introduce my self. My name is Catherine and my husband and I just got our vary first piggy. She is about 2 years old and her name is Flower (I'm obsessed with disney movies. hehe) The reason it is just her because we were told that the people who had her before were abusive to her so we didn't know if it would be a good idea to get her a friend or not. She is in a store cage, sorry. We are looking to get a cc cage. I look forward to getting to know you all. And if anyone has any advise on taking care of a piggy who was abused, we would very much appreciate it. She is so shy and skittish. It breaks my heart.

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the best guinea pig forum around!

A C&C cage would be the best first case of action. If you plan to get a friend for her (which I strongly encourage you to do), then you'll need at least a 2x4. My motto: bigger is better!

I honestly think that a friend would help your guinea pig recover from the suffering she's endured in the past. You can start your search for an adoptable guinea pig at PETFINDER.

Make sure your guinea pig is really a girl. I'm thinking she was bought from a pet store, where guinea pigs are frequently missexed. Check out THIS page for how to sex your pig.

Before you adopt another guinea pig, please take a look at THIS page for information about bonding, introducing, etc.

You'll [obviously] need to be extra gentle and quiet around your guinea pig until she gets used to you and her new surroundings. It'll probably be a while until she starts to calm down.

To make her feel secure, wrap her up in a blanket while holding her. This works well with the skittish guinea pigs at the GP rescue I volunteer at. Also, try to spend time with her, as often as possible. Hold her, pet her while she's in the cage, clean the cage, feed her. Do whatever you can to get her used to your presence.

Good luck, and welcome! We're always here if you have any more questions.

Last edited:

GPigsRSweet

Cavy Slave
Welcome! Kudos to you for rescuing Flower from her abusive past. You've come to the right place for finding info.

The reason it is just her because we were told that the people who had her before were abusive to her so we didn't know if it would be a good idea to get her a friend or not.
It is a good idea to get her a friend! Pigs are very social animals, and need a buddy. Make sure to ADOPT, and check out the link that sdpiggylvr gave you.

neko_chan

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the tips! We already have her in a 2X4 cc cage. She loves it! We checked her sex. We are like 95% sure she is female but we are planing on checking her again until we are at least 99.9% sure. hehe. We have been looking for a friend for her. As of right now nothing on petsfinder and no shelters where i live. Are there any other websites we can check to adopt a guinea pig? If not then we don't mind waiting. :) Thanks again for all your help! I'm so glad I found this website. It's been so helpful.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.