Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

The "girls" are being naughty!

tabikat55

Cavy Slave
I thought I had the hay rack all figured out until Carley proved me wrong.

First off I built a kitchen area because I didn't like the mess at ground level. This worked out great except for the hay - Tasha will carry the thick stems down to the bottom level.

Then I tried to use a box in the kitchen and stuff it with hay - it then became a tunnel and a huge mess.

So I resulted to cutting up more of my old store bought cage. The bottom of the hay rack is about 7 -8 inches off the kitchen floor and 7 inches from the edge of the grid wall. I stuffed it with hay and the Girls loved it. All they have to do is sit under the rack and pull. :love: I'm happy cause there's very little hay at ground level and they're having a good time pulling hay - it's a win/win. I even sat down and watched them - no issues.

Well, not 12 hours later and my 6 yo grandson comes running in because Carley is now sitting IN the hayrack. :eek: I told him that I was sure they couldn't get up there - she was just streching and you thought she was in it.

Well then I walked past and discovered Carley in the rack taking a nap. :eye-poppi With the thickness of the hay and her body being about 4 inches tall, all she has to do is walk over the edge of the grid.

how do you keep them out of the hay racks? any ideas?

JenKY

Cavy Slave
Alot of people will cut and ziptie pieces of choroplast to the open sides of their hayracks to prevent piggies jumping into them. Also, scroll through the hayrack photo gallery for more great ideas here:
Hay Racks - Guinea Pig Cage Photos :)

JD In Van

Cavy Slave
A lot of pigs want to be in their hay, clearly yours are of that kind. Have you tried using a kitten litter box and filling it up? Then they can burrow around in it but it's deep enough they can't get it all over the rest of the cage. I put a thin layer of carefresh in the bottom of mine in case they pee in it (which they do).

MyZoo2

Cavy Slave
We hang our hay bin up (a little basket thing I got at Target), and my boys are constantly jumping in it! They are the naughty too. lol They like it best when I just them "swim" in their hay in a big old pile, but it gets yucky quite fast so I just them jump in their hayrack. The other night they pulled it off the wall of their cage & dragged it away. Looked quite proud of themselves I must say.:crazy:

pinky

Cavy Slave
I think they love sitting in it. I put Carefresh in the kitchen area and add hay in there as they eat it up. I clean it out every couple of days.

vickyangel3

Cavy Slave
I have just added a wire mesh (similar to chicken wire) to our hayrack to prevent so much falling out and being wasted when they eat it. Also as we are getting a new baby in a a few weeks so making sure she can't hurt herself too. I have made sure there is nothing too sharp. But with the wire mesh on sides of the bent grid there is no way they are getting in there unless they can jump the whole height of the 14" cube!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.