Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Scratching Tico's battle with Mites

shamrockmommy

Cavy Slave
At least I guess that's his issue. I don't see any signs of fungus on him.
About 10 months ago I got him from a "breeder" and he was infested with mites. I treated him and he initially got all better, coat grew in nice, all was well and he was paired with Remy.
It's been a battle ever since though, as he goes through bouts of scratching. Currently his coat is short and thin around his ribs both sides and nearly up to his spine.

He is going to the vet tomorrow, but was curious what sort of treatment is best? I have been doing the correct dosage of ivermectin behind his ears but I can't quite seem to get them completely under control. His skin is not damaged in anyway, I keep his nails filed down smoothly, but the coat int hose areaas is quite thin.
Poor man.
Thanks for the help.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
How many treatments did you give and how far apart? Have you treated both pigs?

shamrockmommy

Cavy Slave
This latest 'round' I treated with ivermectin every 10 days 4 times in a row. It seems that one side he is not scratching anymore bu tthe left he still scratches and the hair is short and broken on that side.

MissSofi

Cavy Slave
You have my sympathies. My piggies have been battling mites for over a year, they have been treated properly with both ivermectin and revolution, and those stupid mites just keep coming back :(

Cogni

Cavy Slave
Echoing A.K. , did you treat both your piggies? Even if one piggie doesn't seem infected, they could be there and not showing symptoms if the piggie has great immune system. And then second and symptom-less piggie could re-infect first.

shamrockmommy

Cavy Slave
Yes both were treated on the same timeline.

Piglett

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure if this will help but I've seen pictures of her results, so might I suggest gorgerous guineas products? If you don't know who she is just google gorgeous guineas. She makes homemade shampoos, cremes and melts, rinses ( melts-which seem to be like a thick body butter or conditioner that you use before shampooing) that help with bad or recurring skin problems. I would check it out and her pictures and then give her a email to see if she can help you out. Her products seem great and have gotten good reviews on here. I'm waiting to buy some myself to have on hand. Oh she sells trials too. Maybe this could be a long-term solution. Good luck with your Tico. Bless both you all's hearts. I'd hate to always be itchy.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.