Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Fleece questions: best absorber, fleece sets?

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
I'm trying to figure out a new system for the pigs' fleece. I have two sets that I change about every 5 days, and that works fine. I've heard people who sew together their sets. How do they do that? Just simple sewing to connect them; keep them together?

Also, what's the best absorber to put under the fleece? Towels work fine but I want something better. :cheerful: Anything you like best?

Any additional info is greatly appreciated!

lissie

Cavy Slave
Have you seen the zorb thread? It works best for me.
I sewed my fleece to a mattress pad before I got zorb. Now I put a layer of zorb under my fleece pad. You can sew fleece and zorb together. My new sets will be like that.

This is how I sewed mine. It's very easy. You just need to know how to sew straight lines. :)
Cage Pad by Lis

lulubird6

Cavy Slave
Have you seen the zorb thread? It works best for me.
I sewed my fleece to a mattress pad before I got zorb. Now I put a layer of zorb under my fleece pad. You can sew fleece and zorb together. My new sets will be like that.]

I want to use zorb in the new cage. Is one layer enough for 2 big boars? I want to change it out every 3-4 days or so.

lissie

Cavy Slave
One layer should be enough if you change every 3-4 days. Are you using it with litter box or you'll be using all fleece? If you use all fleece, one layer is not enough.

hurleyslave

Cavy Slave
I sew my fleece onto a mattress pad and so far it has worked wonders. None of my piggie's urine is soaking the towels or newspapers that I have underneath. I am interested in the idea of buying Zorb and sewing that to the fleece though. Do you sew cotton/polyester batting between the fleece and the Zorb/mattress pad? I've seen posts where people do that but I'm not quite sure if that's the direction that I want to head in because my sewing machine has been on the fritz lately and maybe I'm just new to the whole sewing thing, but I can't really fit six layers of fabric under the machine just to even start sewing! (Six layers because I fold the corners and since it's fleece, batting, and mattress pad, it's three layers plus folded is six)

Michele

Cavy Slave
Hi, I make my own custom fitted cage pads and I had a tip for you. I'm getting ready to make some new bedding sets for my three piggies. I am going to use fleece over the Zorb fabric. I have never done this before so I'll let you know how it works out.

My Tip Is this; IF you buy enough extra fleece to completely go over the sides and wrap around edges and go all the way to outside bottom of cage (using elastic around edges like you would for a fitted mattress pad) then you don't have to sew but just a few layers for the very bottom of cage then attach this to the side pieces.

DOes that make sense? If not let me know and I'll try to clarify.
:)Michele

Flssgrl

Cavy Slave
Wow Lissie, thanks for the tutorial!

veganpiggy

Cavy Slave
I love reusable puppy pads! They absorb wonderfully. I bought mine from amazon.com.

CavyLuver516

Cavy Slave
I love reusable puppy pads! They absorb wonderfully. I bought mine from amazon.com.

Reusable puppy pads? I didn't even know they exist! How many piggies do you have and how long does a change last until it starts to smell? Do you just use the pads and fleece? What brand are they? Sorry for all the questions . . . thanks!

veganpiggy

Cavy Slave
Reusable puppy pads? I didn't even know they exist! How many piggies do you have and how long does a change last until it starts to smell? Do you just use the pads and fleece? What brand are they? Sorry for all the questions . . . thanks!
I have 2 boys, and they last at least a week and a half! I use the pads with fleece over them. I got these but there are other brands I think. :) (broken link removed)

lissie

Cavy Slave
Wow Lissie, thanks for the tutorial!

You're welcome :)

In case anyone is wondering. I still haven't sewed new pads with zorb. (Too lazy :p) I'm still using the one I made for the tutorial.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.