Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sounds New Noise from one of our piggies!

newpiggiemommy

Cavy Slave
I was wondering if anyone has heard this kind of sound before!

Marshmallow, one of my 3 year old piggies started making a weird chirping sound! She doesn't seem to be hurt or ill, but the sound is very different from the normal "WEAK WEAK" sound they usually make.

The sound is sort of a bird chirp or a squirrel chip sound! Please let me know if this has any significant meaning! I hope she is going to be okay!

TwitterPopcorn

Cavy Slave
You have a chirper. It's calling the mother ship. Very special, not many do it. Search chirping and you will read many posts.

Did you see you pig make the noise? They normally are described as in a trance when they do it.

newpiggiemommy

Cavy Slave
Okay! I really think the chirping sound coming from Marshmallow is nothing to worry about, but it is very unusual!

I checked her out and she doesn't appear to be hurt.

The two times I have heard it, I was two rooms away. The chirping sound is loud and constant! She is sitting on a ledge staring out into the bottom level of the cage making the noise! I think she is just making her self known!

newpiggiemommy

Cavy Slave
You have a chirper. It's calling the mother ship. Very special, not many do it. Search chirping and you will read many posts.

Did you see you pig make the noise? They normally are described as in a trance when they do it.

That is exactly how I would describe it! She looked like she was in a trance!

guineapigmomy

Cavy Slave
Well no one really knows what it means. But from my experience with my one pig, I think it means they are very scared. But the first time heard it, I was like did a bird fly into our house.:crazy: But the reason I think it means they are very scared is because the two times I herd my Moo chirp is when there was a lot of yelling in the house, when everyone was yelling at eachother.:rolleyes:

newpiggiemommy

Cavy Slave
Well no one really knows what it means. But from my experience with my one pig, I think it means they are very scared. But the first time heard it, I was like did a bird fly into our house.:crazy: But the reason I think it means they are very scared is because the two times I herd my Moo chirp is when there was a lot of yelling in the house, when everyone was yelling at eachother.:rolleyes:

I don't know what would have scared my Marshmallow! My daughter and I were the only ones in this part of the house and we were 2 rooms away! She didn't even realize we walked into the room the second time. She just kept chirping! It seemed to startle the other 4 piggies. They were all up on the top level of the cage sort of staying away from her as she did this!

Jazlyn

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer

Same here. When mine do it it's usually because they're scared.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Being scared has nothing to do with our one who's a chirper. She only does it when the house is perfectly quiet and nothing else is going on. She sits very still and sings for about 15 minutes, and the other pig doesn't move a muscle while she's doing it.

Jazlyn

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Being scared has nothing to do with our one who's a chirper. She only does it when the house is perfectly quiet and nothing else is going on. She sits very still and sings for about 15 minutes, and the other pig doesn't move a muscle while she's doing it.

Awh, that's really cute! :)

fieryone

Cavy Slave
My Lucy has chirped a few times. It's a cool sound, isn't it? No one really knows why they do it.

Lucy even did it once in my lap and it was weird. I was feeding her a carrot and she suddenly stopped eating it and stared at me and started chirping. Not as loud as she had before while in the cage, but it was still a distinct bird chirp.

ETA: Lucy hasn't seemed scared when she's done it. The first time she was standing in the middle of the cage and nothing had been going on in the house or outside. The next time was around 4am when my husband was sleeping in there. Maybe his snoring scared her? lol And the time on my lap there wasn't anything that seemed startling on the tv or from any of the humans.

Penny

Cavy Slave
One of my boys has been doing that too, I think it's Oliver. The two times I've heard it was about 2:00am and the house was really quiet, I was trying to sleep. It's a very neat sound and I don't think they were scared. I hope I hear it again:D

ashley832

Cavy Slave
My Richie has done it a couple of times while out for playtime....and then proceeded to attack one of the others. It was different and cute (the chirping, not the attack).

Marguerite

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig that last night. I have had other guinea pigs do that also. It is extremely loud and a little creepy. I am not sure which one of my piggies did it. They usually stop when I approach the cage.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.