Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Things to watch for

MaggieMae

Cavy Slave
When I got my guinea pig someone said to watch out for pregnancy. When I took her to the vet a couple days after I got her they said they didn't see any signs.

However, if she wasn't very pregnant, the signs probably wouldn't show, right?

I keep checking for the signs but I don't think anything would be showing up much as I have had her two weeks and as far as eating and drinking habits I have little to compare as I have both switched her diet and she is my only guinea pig at the moment.

She has longish hair though, some is long some is medium length and she kind of has a little bit of a pear shape to begin with which honestly looks natural as she doesn't look fat really at all. Is it harder to judge visible weight gain on guinea pigs with longer hair?

I got my hands on a really old kitchen scale we used for measuring grout. I am going to start to track her weight just to be safe. However, my guess is unless I come up with a huge difference, because of her diet change, her weight might also change naturally.

My big question however is this. These websites say you can feel the babies on her tummy at some point or possibly a kick. What does a baby guinea pig feel like from the outside of her tummy? Is it firm like a little carrot or more like a little squishy grape.. Haha I probably sound like a total weirdo. :crazy: And I would never squeeze her tummy so maybe "squishy" was a bad way to put that. But she has tummy tissue or muscles, whatever makes up her tummy, so I am just kind of wondering, since I have nothing to compare, what that might feel like if I were to discover a little protruding body, how obvious it might be or how far it might stick out.?.?

I want to assume she isn't pregnant but because of her age it isn't something I want to be a surprise. I don't think there were any other obvious signs. Too bad I can't have her pee on a stick like we do, it would make me feel better to know. However, if I worry about anything any more about her I think my boyfriend might take her from me! lol

Stretched out she looks so skinny. Bunched up she looks like a fat little piggy. But she so much black fur is hard to visually get an idea of what is fur and what is body.

Also, I went to the pet store today because my friend wanted a childhood reminder of how different hamster and guinea pigs were. They had TOTALLY different guinea pigs. They went through like, 8 guinea pigs in two weeks. Is that normal????? It seemed kind of strange to me.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.