Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Brands I did the math and bought the best

Lil Fella's Mom

Cavy Slave
I am giddy as a teenager on Prom night. i just ordered at Kleenmama's hayloft and soon my babies are going to eat the best products available.

Here is the math for all of you that wonder as well. I live in Ga so shipping cost from Washington is extremely high.
However, here is the rundown.
2.5 lbs of Oxbow timothy hay cost $11 that is $4.40/lb
25 lbs of Keenmama 3rd cut timothy hay cost $18+$27= $47 that is only $1.88/lb
I also ordered 25 lbs of timothy pellets. That is a years supply for my two piggers.
I am super excited. Now of course i wonder about correct storage of both pellets and hay. Wouldn't want my precious supply to go bad.
Any and all advice for hay and pellet storage is greatly appreciated.

Cogni

Cavy Slave
Good for you!
I understand that light makes the Vitamin C in the pellets degrade, so keep the package closed and out of the light.
On this site I saw someone referring to freezing pellets. That sounded great to me! Since I'm going to buy another 10 lb bag before my current one runs out. If you have the space, like an external freezer, you might freeze half of this magnificent year's supply of pellets.

Ilovemypiggies1

Cavy Slave
That's great, I heard Kleenmama's has great quality pellets and hay! I live on the east coast so shipping would be high...otherwise I would order from KM's website. Freezing the pellets in a freezer will keep the vitamin C from degrading. For the hay, keep it in a dry place but where air can get through. I keep mine in a storage bin and I keep the top open a little. Good luck!

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
You can store the hay in the box the hay comes in. Just remove the plastic bag. Or if you want it in another container, make sure it has holes in it to prevent the hay from molding.

As for pellets, anything airtight and in the dark will work.

Lil Fella's Mom

Cavy Slave
Thanks for all the advice.
Ilovemypiggies. I live in Ga, so I couldn't be further from Washington if I tried. Oxbow is the only other alternative, but it is expensive, especially the hay. Try doing the math. Even with the extreme shipping cost, the price per pound of hay is less.
Another bonus is, I am no longer giving business to any pet stores that sell animals.

blackarrow

Cavy Slave
I am giddy as a teenager on Prom night.
Too cute. Wait until you actually get the stuff! Just taking the plastic bag off the hay (which you should do) releases the most delicious aroma - it's wonderful stuff. I'm glad you didn't let the high shipping charge keep you from figuring out it's the better deal than the bagged stuff in the long run. I may eventually switch to local hay but I won't go back to bagged stuff no matter what I do after having seen the quality of this.

Cool and dark and dry for the pellets, clean and dry and ventilated for the hay (I keep the hay right in the original box, in my garage, with the plastic bag removed.)

Tdchewy

Cavy Slave
I know the feeling. I was so excited the day my supplies came from KM. I removed the bag from the box of hay and stabbed a few holes in the box. I put the pellets in a large rubbermaid container with a lid. The piggies love this stuff..especially the hay.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.