Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

determining healthy weight

N

Nana

determining healthy weight

I don't have a real scale small enough to weigh Henry, (doubt I could get him into the food scale, lol) but his body feels thin. ?? What should their body feel like underneath all that fur? He has whirly fur (Abby?) so I can't tell anything by looking at him.

I have read that alfalfa is too rich/ too much calcium for GP's- and other places say young GP's NEED to have it?.. so what's the truth? He has never had any.
He always has pellets & timothy hay.. gets romaine lettuce and carrots every day- other fruits and veggies we vary.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Re: determining healthy weight

If your YOUNG guinea pig is getting alfalfa-based pellets and a good variety of greens and timothy hay, he doesn't need alfalfa hay. Over 4-6 months of age, NO guinea pig needs alfalfa hay. Only young guinea pigs and pregnant and lactating females need it. Otherwise, they should be on Timothy Hay. I would make sure all guinea pigs have access to Timothy, even young ones if they are getting alfalfa.

Your guinea pig should be getting fresh food TWICE a DAY. Hard to tell from your post if that's the case.

N

Nana

Henry is probably 6 months old now. He always has lots of timothy and pellets in there, and the veggies, etc, we do morning and night. I "guess" the pellets do have alfalfa in them, since they are green? The pet store doesn't sell a brand name, it is sold in bulk bags.
But Henry never had fresh alfalfa hay, since nobody told us that we were supposed to do that. Do you think he is ok, or should we maybe offer him some this month?
He doesn't seem very big and certainly is not fat, but he acts perky.

Attachments

Pheobe (week 3).jpg photo (1).jpg photo.jpg

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave

He's past the age for needing extra calcium. I wouldn't worry about it.

Attachments

New and final c and c 003 (640x480).jpg 016.jpg RSCN0909 (640x480).jpg june 15 2012 016 (640x480).jpg 006 (640x588).jpg New and final c and c 015 (640x480).jpg 002 (640x480).jpg 004 (640x457).jpg 006 (640x448).jpg 003 (640x430).jpg Birtday 007 (640x552).jpg
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.