Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Chew toys advice?

Cogni

Cavy Slave
I'm getting ready to return home to my piggies next week. I want to get them some chew toys that are not bad for them. By chew toys I mean little stuffed critters, or anything stuffed that they can toss around but also chew safely. What do you guys use that is safe and works? These are possibilities I thought about:
1) baby toys (little stuffed things)? I have seen so many cute little things I'd love to buy--like a tiny little stuffed sheep--but I assume they must be natural fibers because piggies shouldn't chew synthetics right?
2) animal chew toys? are the small toys made for dogs ok? These are sold in dollar stores (well, pound stores here), supermarkets etc.
3) making my own? I thought about stuffing a sock with hay, but again, it must be natural fibers like cotton right? Should I choose a sock with a hole in it or can I let them chew their own hole? Thanks for advice.
I can't wait to see my piggies and bring them some things they like.

You can use soft cuddly stuffed animal toys-if they chew it and get to the stuffing which is harmful then you can take the stuffing out and replace it with bedding and put it back together again, for chewing there are guinea pig chew sticks, you can get an old sock, stuff it with hay, and you can stuff a sock with bedding and sew it or tie off the top, you can also stuff a sock with hay and they can drag it around the cage and use it as bedding, try a tennis ball or a ping pong ball, they love to play with them.:D

I found the link where i read all the information from before
Guinea Pig Toys and Play
its great, the information is nearer to the bottom of the page. :)

My pigs have stuffed animals that are used for dogs to play with. They never chew them they just kind of throw them around with there mouths and use them as pillows. One of my pigs likes them more than the other she acts like a dog when playing with them. She'll put them in her mouth shake her head a little then throw it out of her mouth only to hit the other pig in the head thats right by her.
You can also use paper towel rolls filled with hay, just make sure to cut it down the middle so the pigs head doesnt get stuck as he/she is getting the hay.
Cat balls - be careful about the ones with the bell inside.
If you can find some apple tree branches that are free of pesticides the pigs can chew on these. Pinecones are another but be sure to bake them first to sterilize them.
Wooden hideys can work too.

Thanks, the link on Guinea Pig Toys and Play is good, and I had seen it a long time ago but forgot. Looks like stuffed animals and a sock with hay are good ideas. I will get some little animals they can drag or toss around and stuff them with either hay or crumpled paper.
My piggies do like to toss and bite crumpled paper balls. They have not chewed them: when I open them up I find the paper is not chewed, but has many little holes in it from tiny teeth.
Now I'm thinking about Tinker Toys--I could make them a great hay rack out of those, as well as constructing various items of fun, changeable decor. (And I get an excuse for playing with Tinker Toys again after 40 odd years!) I hope those are non-toxic, since children chew on them--but with piggies it always seems as though things that are non-toxic for humans can be horribly toxic to little piggie bodies. Anybody ever use Tinker Toys?

You should try wooden blocks or, as I have found, cavies love to chew apple tree branches.

Are nut tree branches ok? We have two pecan trees on our property, but we live near the Gulf coast, and I've never seen any apple trees around.

I've never tried nut branches, but with apple tree branches, i pick my own branches at an orchard, but you can buy apple tree branches at petco.:D

I'm not sure how safe nut tree branches are so I'd skip those.

You will find that many pigs don't care about toys. I wouldn't go out and get a ton of things. I'd start simple with one or two things and see how they react to them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.