Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Pregnant Pig Known Too Late

waicatz

Cavy Slave
I got Zara and Miu Miu from a pet shop. They are with us for a month and now 3.5 months old. My sis did tired to adopt guinea pigs from SPCA, but all of them have been adopted by other families. Without choice we went to the pet shop to get 2 sows.

Unfortunately, Zara was pregnant all this while. We have not over come on pregnant guinea pig before. Because of inexperience, we don’t notice that she was pregnant for a month and surprisingly she gave birth just yesterday night. Sadly the pups did not survive. I can see that Zara look tired and down. Will she be suffering of emotional problem? How to make her happy as usual?

Since her pups are dead and will not deliver milk, will her pelvis back to the normal position? How long it takes? If I carry her on my laps will I hurt her? And since she is not ready to eat pepper, what kind of nutrition for her?

I’m so worry that I will lose her. Please advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to take her to a veterinarian as soon as possible. If she was well she would be able to eat and drink normally. Because she isn't eatig it is a sign that she is very very ill. Please get her to a doctor immediately.

You need to take her to a veterinarian as soon as possible. If she was well she would be able to eat and drink normally. Because she isn't eatig it is a sign that she is very very ill. Please get her to a doctor immediately.

She is eating after she gave birth. She came out of the pigloo and ate the pellets and hay. Since she shy (usually she will stay in the pigloo and back to the pigloo if she see anyone of us passing by her cage), I sit at the cage and feed her whenever she is at the entrance of the pigloo. She ate whatever i gave and drink a lot.

You need to take her to a vet. Are you sure they are both females?

You need to take her to a vet. Are you sure they are both females?

Yes, sure both female. Zara is always big size, which look the same as I bought her from the pet shop. After she gave birth, she is in smaller size, which similar to Miu Miu.

She should recover but a vet check up for both is a good idea, especially considering they came from a pet store.

Sorry but you had a choice. It was your choice to buy them from a pet store and support breeding mills.

You said there were adoptable guinea pigs near you. You could have waited to tried a rescue or rehoming ads.

Their size is not an indication of their sex. (I'm assuming from what you wrote that you are using their size being the same as the evidence that they are female? Sorry if I am wrong). This page has good information on how to tell the difference: Sexing Guinea Pigs: How to Sex a Guinea Pig
Although your best bet is taking both of them to the vet and get them checked over and confirm they are both female. They may also have other problems like mites which are common from pet stores.

You probably just should have waited a few weeks to adopt from the SPCA, you can always make enquiries there and leave them your details to contact you when they have adoptable guineas in. There's also always guinea pigs in the paper being given away by people who no longer want them.

But I hope everything goes okay with your piggers.

She should recover but a vet check up for both is a good idea, especially considering they came from a pet store.

Sorry but you had a choice. It was your choice to buy them from a pet store and support breeding mills.

You said there were adoptable guinea pigs near you. You could have waited to tried a rescue or rehoming ads.

I've thought of taking to the vet, but my sis didn't want as she is tight with the cash flow and scolded me. I should have insist to.
Guinea pigs adoption is not popular in Singapore and rarely have, maybe once or twice in a year. Mostly cats and dogs. Thus, my sister can't wait to get the guinea pigs as they are so cute.

Their size is not an indication of their sex. (I'm assuming from what you wrote that you are using their size being the same as the evidence that they are female? Sorry if I am wrong). This page has good information on how to tell the difference: Sexing Guinea Pigs: How to Sex a Guinea Pig
Although your best bet is taking both of them to the vet and get them checked over and confirm they are both female. They may also have other problems like mites which are common from pet stores.

You probably just should have waited a few weeks to adopt from the SPCA, you can always make enquiries there and leave them your details to contact you when they have adoptable guineas in. There's also always guinea pigs in the paper being given away by people who no longer want them.

But I hope everything goes okay with your piggers.

Sorry maybe I didn't type correctly. Yes, the size does not indicate sex. What I mean that she was pregnant since from pet shop. The size of Zara is as big as the very first time I bought her. And I've read from my SPCA phamplet, that guines pig will take about 59-72 days to give birth. I bought Zara a month ago, which she has been with us for 30 days. It shouldn't cause from the second piggie i had. Most probably from the pet shop.
Thanks distancel

I'm very sorry you lost the pups. I hope both your adult pigs are doing better now. I've never had a pregnant pig, so I can't really say if you should hold her or not. I'll let others with more experience answer you.

It's alright shypaw. Thanks for your concern.

Zara is getting better, she eat as usual. Thanks to all.​

I'm so happy that mom is doing well! I was scared for her.

Me too, worried. Now is ok. Eat and poop a lot :) Thanks

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.