Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

I am so confused!

choco&vanilla

Cavy Slave
About 6 weeks ago I adopted(yes, adopted) two guinea pigs from a petstore. They had been abandoned there so there was no info on them. Well about two weeks later their old owners called with some info about them. You know, their age(2 1/2 & 4), names, food ect. Oh yah, and that they were PREGNANT:eek:! So of couse I was shocked. We really doubt that the younger one is pregnant, but the older one I am almost positive that she is! About 2 weeks ago she got really big, but not fat big, like she had 4 very pronounced lumps(about the size of the bottle part of an OPI nail polish) with heartbeats in her tummy! So of course I thought she was preggy, but then a week later one or two were gone? So now she has about 2 or 3 of those lumps possibly with heartbeats(hard to tell). Is it possible that she lost some of the babies? And if so, what do I do? I will be posting pictures as soon as I find my camera :crazy:. What angles should I photograph her by for you guys to judge her pregnantness?

Thanks

A vet would really be your best bet to get your questions answered. She would not have just "lost" babies. They do not reabsorb their young like rabbits can and if they are big enough to see/feel then I'm pretty sure they would be too big to reabsorb anyway. It is pretty much impossible to miscarry only part of the litter.

If you want to show a picture it should be taken from above.

Let me reiterate that a vet visit really is called for. Few people would take a dog or cat in from questionable circumstances and not take them to a vet BUT they seem to thing that it's not necessary for small animals. That is not true. Small animals need, and deserve, the same treatment and level as care that is granted to large pets. It sound like these animals came from a very questionable home and likely got very poor care. Please take them to see a qualified Cavy vet

I know that I should take her to a vet, but I cant afford it and my parents dont want to take her to the vet. I tried to convince them that they should go to the vet, but we have spent thousands of dollars at the vet in the past few months(making my kittie's last days more comfy:weepy:). So the only way I can get vet care for her is to pay for it my self.(But they arnt even mine... school pet --> step dad=vice principal director of activities=mom, im just the only one who cares about them (the glory has worn off for the rest of the class),cleans their cage, feeds them, sneaks in after hours and gives them free time, that sorta stuff. Im constantly telling the teacher to give them away, but no he will never give them away, just threten to not let us ever take them out of their cages, ha ha, he cant stop me from taking care o' them after hours, now can he?>() Sorry for the rambling... Does anyone know if there are any of these vet clinics that are in the Toronto, Ontario area (Cambridge Cavy Trust) its a member ship vet. Its 25 pounds a month and check ups, nail clippings, and dental work is free. Any suggestions for getting, say a, "reduced price" vet visit? Would going to a vet in training be okay(I dont want to, but if you think the vets in training would be better than nothing (please tell me any bad experiences with vets in training))

Sorry, Thanks Again

Last edited by a moderator:
I know that I should take her to a vet, but I cant afford it and my parents dont want to take her to the vet...we have spent thousands of dollars at the vet in the past few months(making my kittie's last days more comfy:weepy:).
Well, there ya go. The cat is worth thousands but the guinea pig can suffer. How exactly do people decide what animals are worthy of humane treatment and which aren't? How can people who deny treatment stand to look at themselves in the mirror?

So the only way I can get vet care for her is to pay for it my self.(But they arnt even mine... school pet --> ... im just the only one who cares about them (the glory has worn off for the rest of the class),
And again. This is why animals should not be in classrooms or schools.

Since you are located in the Toronto/Ontario area there may be a responsible member of this website near you who would be willing to take on the responsibility that your school/family is refusing.

step dad=vice principal director of activities=mom,...Im constantly telling the teacher to give them away, but no he will never give them away, just threten to not let us ever take them out of their cages, ha ha, he cant stop me from taking care o' them after hours, now can he?>()
Call the authorities. report your school, teacher and step father as denying an animal medical treatment and general neglect. If the school is going to house animals then they have to have a budget for regular vet care. They CANNOT deny necessary treatment. You can remain anonymous

Does anyone know if there are any of these vet clinics that are in the Toronto, Ontario area (Cambridge Cavy Trust) its a member ship vet.
No, they are in the UK only I believe. They aren't a vet service. They a\re people who take a few classes on GP husbandry and treat animals. Some of them are good but most are not and often do more harm then good.

Now I'm a little confused. First post you said you adopted them. Now you said they are school pets?

Ditto, Lissie, as I'm also finding a number of things very hard to believe about this story.

You say you "adopted" these pigs from a pet store and that they had been abandoned there by their original owner and yet the original owner called later to give information about them? Seems rather unlikely. People that abandon their pets don't generally later call to give information about the animals they've dumped.

Also, and this may be neither here nor there, but your profile says you only have one "rescued" pig that's three years old, and yet these two are two and a half and four?

And ... now these pets are not yours but classroom pets that out of the goodness of your heart you're sneaking in and taking care of?

Bottom line is, regardless of what the truth of their story actually is, they need a vet, as has been stated over and over again. I also have spent thousands of dollars in the past few months in vet care - on my dog, on my cat, on my guinea pigs. That doesn't somehow mean that if one of my pets gets sick or hurt today, that I get to deny them medical care because of what I've spent on others before them. If it's out of your control to do that, fine - as VJ said, report those who are. There is no valid excuse for refusing to get these animals the care that they need. None.

I'm confused too but either way, you need to find a cavy vet.

• Post hidden due to user being banned.
I've felt the fetuses and them grinding their teeth. I don't think I've felt heartbeats. But you can feel their feet and stuff kicking. They may be confusing those.

okay...
-they were never mine
-i did write about both of them on my profile, but it must have deleted the part about vanilla
-the 2 and 1/2 year old and the 3 year old are the same pig but i wrote 3 on my profile because i knew i wouldnt change it often enough.
-im just repeating what my friend(who lives across the road from the petstore) told me about how they got them and about the call
-now I feel obligated to sell my cherished ipod that i saved up for, for about a 15 months to get vetcare for a guinea pig that isnt even mine(only to get yelled at by my teacher)... okay...
-the only reason we adopted them was because its not a great petstore and they were crammed into a 5 gallon fish tank with bad food(corn, seeds ect.), an empty water bottle. The cage was sandwitched in between 2 snake cages so they were probably scared out of their minds watching mice get eaten. We have taken one of our more animal friendly teachers their and they were also descusted so he is doing something (I think? because he is really concerned)

I am sorry if I offended any of you ,but theres only so much I can do.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry, you say they were never yours and then explain why you adopted them. You aren't making any sense, but that's okay.

If they are yours you are obligated to get them vet care, even if that means selling your "cherished iPod." There will be another iPod, I can assure you. There will not be another pig if this one dies because you neglected to get her to a vet.

If they are not yours you need to report those tasked with caring for them - as they are failing to do so. As VJ pointed out, you can do so anonymously.

And there's only so much help you can get from an internet forum. Anything anyone here could offer you is absolutely no substitute for the care of a qualified veterinarian.

They were never mine, as in, I have no owner ship rights or anything. I am only posting this because I was wondering if there was anything I could do because I was confused. Not to be accused of lyeing(spelling.).
Sorry

There is something you can do. You can get them to a vet, or compel those responsible for them to do so.

Ive tried talking to my teacher. We even have a home lined up for them who will take them to the vets. But he denies that anything is wrong. At least 5 people have talked to him about this.

I'm glad you found a home for them who can get them the care they need. Pregnancy can be very dangerous for guinea pigs, so please make sure they get to their new home and to the vet ASAP.

I agree, it's time to get tough! Who actually "owns" the pigs? Is it the teacher? The school? You? If you're the one who brought them to the school and you're the one taking care of them, I'd say you have more rights to them than anyone. If you're sneaking in after hours, have a friend with a car (if you don't drive) pick you up and take them to the vet yourself! Yes, it's expensive but wouldn't you rather them get the proper care they need??

Otherwise, you say your step dad is the vice principal. Try going to him again. Be prepared with solid facts and a well-thought out explanation about why they need to see a vet. If he doesn't listen, go over his head to the principal. If that doesn't work, go to the school board. You get the picture. I doubt the buck stops with the teacher, who sounds like a real jerk.

Personally though, I say you just grab them and go to the nearest vet without even asking. Just my opinion. Keep us updated, please.

Last edited:
I agree, \go over his head to the principal. If that doesn't work, go to the school board. You get the picture. I doubt the buck stops with the teacher, who sounds like a real jerk.

the principal is my grandfather and we are a private school, so no board :(

Vailla has become her "normal" size again !!! So no babies!!! They could be in a new home rigth now, but, they arnt mine so I cant make that decision. I say I take care of them as in I buy them good food and stuff like that. My teacher dosnt exactly like me so its kind of hard to explain why they need vet care (witch is why he dosent like me -partly ;))So baisically if they were mine they wold be at the vets right now(while not RIGHT now, because its midnite, but you get it)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.