Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

New Babies...PLEASE HELP

mrsdlkent

Cavy Slave
We were suprised yesterday with new babies. We had been told that both of our guinea pigs were girls so we had no clue that one was pregnant. One of the babies died before I could get to them. One is thriving very well and seems to be fine. The other one is having a rough time. His head is rather large compaired to his body. He cant lift it to walk. He scoots around the cage on his side (his name is scooter). The mother does not seem to want to harm it or want it gone. As far as I can tell it is still getting milk from the mother. I've tried getting it to stand up but every time I do he falls back over. He was outside the house this morning and was doing fine until I lifted the house and he wiggled back to his sibbling. As soon as he got there he fell over. I'm not sure what is causing this or what I am to do. Any advise would be appericated.
**Please note we do not currently have the funds to take Scooter to the vet.

Please note we do not currently have the funds to take Scooter to the vet.
That is not an excuse. This animal needs to see a doctor. You took on the responsibility of owning pets you need to take FUILL responsibility. You would not deny a child a trip to the doctor's if they needed it would you?

Do whatever you need to do. Tell family to return gifts they bought for you and give you the money instead, skip lunch for a couple of weeks--do whatever you need to do but get that poor animal to a vet, set up a payment plan and do what is right.

You really need to take him to a cavy vet. There is not much you can do for him at home.

Here is a sexing guide to find out if both your original pigs are females https://www.guinealynx.info/sexing.html She may have been pregnant when you bought her. Pet store pigs are usually sick and missexed.

If one is a male , you need to separate them asap as she can get pregnant again right after birth.

Read https://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html and https://www.guinealynx.info/eyes.html#congenital in case you have a lethal

I already seperated them...and did not realize that they were oppisite sexes or I wouldnt have had them in the same cage.

I am sorry that I posted this and got the response that I got. I will consult someone else about the matter. Thank you for your time in replying.
I obviously would take the pup to the vet if it was an opition. My children eating come before anything else. This was NOT something I had planned on happening since we were informed 3 times we had females.
Again THANK you for your time.

What you're describing is a serious medical condition that may be fatal if left untreated. He might die anyway, but allowing him to die a slow and agonizing death is unnecessary cruelty and not excusable because you lack the forethought to set aside a medical fund for animals relying solely on you for their care.

I highly doubt that if you were unable to lift your head and scooting around on your side that you'd accept the excuse that you didn't have the money to seek medical attention.

Have you called vet clinics? Many might be willing to see and possibly euthanize the animal for free or at a reduced cost rather than let it carry on in this way.

This was NOT something I had planned on happening since we were informed 3 times we had females.
I assume you got the "three females" intentionally, though, and had you given any thought to the fact that THEY might need veterinary care at some point while in your care?

Last edited:
I have 2 females and asked 3 seperate people to make sure we were getting females. I am not some mean horrible person for everyone who seems to think so. We are on a very tight budget at this moment and were not when we got the guinea pigs. YOU DO KNOW THAT THINGS HAPPEN RIGHT? So please know that its not that I DONT CARE or DONT WANT to take scooter to the vet.

AND I just called the vet and she told me that what I am describing sounds like water on the brain and there is nothing that could be done for him. She said he will either trive and become and adult with "disablities" or he will pass...there is really no way of knowing. She said to keep him warm and make sure that the mother is taking care of him and if not I would need to. She said there isnt any way to know if he will live or die...and I AM NOT HEARTLESS enough to just put him down if there is a possibility that he will survive. I will follow my vets advise from this point on.

If you can not provide vet care, I suggest you do the right thing for those animals and work on rehoming them as soon as possible.

Oh I don't think it has anything at all to do with whether or not you care or whether or not you want to take the animal to the vet. But caring and wanting to alone don't translate into doing anything that's actually beneficial.

I don't mean to be a downer, but it's not terribly likely that a "vet" could make such a diagnosis over the phone, nor even be available and/or willing to do so, especially if the caller is not a current client.

Sparing an animal that's suffering more pain is not heartless. Watching him struggle just to move and eat and breathe without seeking qualified medical advice on how best to handle the situation, is.

This is the vet I called (and it is on Guinea Lynx) and I spoke with the vet herself.
Dr. M. Sarmiento, DVM, PhD, MS
A&M Cat Hospital
5010 Dincans St.
Houston, TX 77005
(713) 523-0528

If she had told me to bring him in ASAP that would be something my husband and I would have discussed, but she said to keep an eye on him, keep him warm, and the other things I listed. If he is not in better shape by Monday (when he should be eating food as well as drinking milk we will consult the vet again on bringing him in. As of right now the only problem he is showing is not being able to keep his head up (he is eating from his mother) She informed me that his body will need to catch up to his head. If the mother stops feeding or caring for him we will feed him ourselves and like I said we will consult our vet.

I am sorry that I posted this and got the response that I got. I will consult someone else about the matter. Thank you for your time in replying.
I obviously would take the pup to the vet if it was an opition. My children eating come before anything else. This was NOT something I had planned on happening since we were informed 3 times we had females.
Again THANK you for your time.
*Sigh* I just don't understand the plethera of people who post here looking for medical advice and then get upset when the advice they get is to go to a vet. What were you expecting to hear, "give him an aspirin and call us in the morning"? Obviously what you are describing is something quite serious and requires professional help. We cannot diagnosis something that serious over the internet and neither can a vet diagnose it over the phone. Most vets that I know of offer financing or credit card type plans. Otherwise maybe they would set up a payment plan with you? Having pets requires money and you have to be prepared for the unexpected. Additionally, it's not cruel to euthanize the pig if he is that bad off. It's much more humane than allowing him to suffer. But again, that requires a vet's assessment. Good luck, I hope he pulls through and you do the right thing.

*Sigh* I just don't understand the plethera of people who post here looking for medical advice and then get upset when the advice they get is to go to a vet. What were you expecting to hear, "give him an aspirin and call us in the morning"? Obviously what you are describing is something quite serious and requires professional help. We cannot diagnosis something that serious over the internet and neither can a vet diagnose it over the phone. Most vets that I know of offer financing or credit card type plans. Otherwise maybe they would set up a payment plan with you? Having pets requires money and you have to be prepared for the unexpected. Additionally, it's not cruel to euthanize the pig if he is that bad off. It's much more humane than allowing him to suffer. But again, that requires a vet's assessment. Good luck, I hope he pulls through and you do the right thing.

I was not upset by the reponse I got (I KNEW it was something we needed to discuss) I was upset by the tone of the reply. I have already stated I contacted a vet and will follow through with what was recommended and will contact the VET not this group when needed. Thank you for your time in responding.

Please note we do not currently have the funds to take Scooter to the vet.

Something that my vet offers (as well as other vets and medical doctors) is Care Credit. Sort of like a credit card, strictly for medical needs. We were going to get it when we needed to get a stray cat neutered, but it turned out we were able to scrape enough together to not use it. Might be worth looking into, though!

I was upset by the tone of the reply.

I do have to say that it is very, very difficult to be able to tell tone accurately through text. I realize that something can seem harsh or out of line when it wasn't intended to be that way. It makes it easier just to take text for what it is instead of trying to put emotions into it. Now, if someone were using expletives, that would be different. The info posted was simply matter-of-fact and nothing more.

The people here are just concerned for your pigs, and out of that concern, offered a variety of suggestions to you that have been proven useful for others.

I'm glad that you have a vet that handles pigs and knows what to do in times like this. Please don't discount this forum though. While the responses to this particular situation weren't to your liking, I'm sure you will find answers to any other questions you have at this forum, as well as your vet.

Keep us updated!

This is the vet I called (and it is on Guinea Lynx) and I spoke with the vet herself.
Hmm. Since you posted the number I thought I'd call too. Interesting, because Dr. Sarmiento doesn't work at that clinic any more. Actually, I also asked what to do with a newborn pig that can't stand or move around very well, and they told me they wouldn't know without looking at the animal and that I'd have to schedule an appointment with a vet to get a prognosis and any other recommendations. He said their vets don't do phone consultations either. Perhaps you just have more finesse on the telephone than I do?

I strongly suggest you find a way to get this animal to a vet. Stat.

Well I spoke with a vet dont know which one...either way we've decided what we are doing and I'm all set. Thanks to all who have replied.

Some people should not have pets especially if getting proper veterinary care is not an option.

Please re-home the poor guinea pigs as you cannot care for them adequately.

Some people should not have pets especially if getting proper veterinary care is not an option.

Please re-home the poor guinea pigs as you cannot care for them adequately.

Thank your for your opinion...although I did not ask for it I appericate you taking the time to reply. I however no longer need help from this website and will be unsubing asap. I have contacted my vet and will care for my animals as I see fit not how you see fit. Thank you again for the advise.

Thank your for your opinion...although I did not ask for it I appericate you taking the time to reply. I however no longer need help from this website and will be unsubing asap. I have contacted my vet and will care for my animals as I see fit not how you see fit. Thank you again for the advise.

Actually, you DID ask for opinions from this site when you said, "Please help". and
I'm not sure what is causing this or what I am to do. Any advise would be appericated.

Just because the advice that was given to you doesn't jive with what you wanted to do, doesn't mean you should just disregard it. There IS no other option than taking him to the vet. There is nothing you can do for him in his current condition at home. If he is suffering, you need to help him ease that suffering. If that means having the vet put him out of his misery, please do the right thing. Put the pig's needs BEFORE your own.

Actually, you DID ask for opinions from this site when you said, "Please help". and

Just because the advice that was given to you doesn't jive with what you wanted to do, doesn't mean you should just disregard it. There IS no other option than taking him to the vet. There is nothing you can do for him in his current condition at home. If he is suffering, you need to help him ease that suffering. If that means having the vet put him out of his misery, please do the right thing. Put the pig's needs BEFORE your own.

I understand I asked for advise I did not however ask for someone WHO DOES NOT KNOW ME or MY LIFE to tell me to get rid of MY pets. I've already stated several times I've contacted a vet. I will follow up with the vet to do what needs to be done with my pets. I am not disregaurding anyones advise to take the pig to the vet. Again thank you all for your help, but if you are going to continue to tell me I'm a bad pet owner I no longer wish to be part of this forum. I came on this forum to ask for advise as to what might be causing the issue...not tell me how to fix the little guy. I already get the VET part so I no longer need anyone to tell me that. I will again consult my vet as needed. Thank you all for your words of advise.

It isn't dumping if you cannot sincerely afford or care for them properly.

It's finding them a better home.

What are you feeding them? What color is the baby by the way?

Did you read the links I gave you?

It isn't dumping if you cannot sincerely afford or care for them properly.

It's finding them a better home.

What are you feeding them? What color is the baby by the way?

Did you read the links I gave you?

**They are 24 hours old so they are still inside the housing with the mother drinking her milk...she is eating T. Hay and pellets (with fruit/veggies etc) she is also getting carrots, greens and oranges as well.

**The thriving baby is white, brown, and black, The baby that is having the problems is black and white like the mother and father.

**I did. I am not feeding him myself yet as the mother is nursing it at the moment. And I do not know if it is a letal or not.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.