Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Re-Introducing Piggies....?

citaconnor

Cavy Slave
So I adopted Lulu this summer, shortly followed by Reed (a neutered male from Small Angels Rescue), they got along perfectly from the start and immediately became inseparable.

Reed's foster mother told me that he had a very bad case of mites before, he was missing much of his hair and emaciated due to improper nutrition and lack of will to eat. When I met him he was quite fat, and very happy to meet Lulu (though a bit skiddish around humans)

Jump to this last week, where I was washing Reed and came upon a clump of fur by his rump. I began to scrub, thinking it was dirt or something, and the hair clump came out! Upon further inspection I could tell that there was some sort of parasite in the clump. I freaked out, exacerbated by the fact that I had to leave town for the weekend and leave my piggies under the care of my friends, who knew little about guinea pigs but were armed with a detailed care sheet. I started to cut his hair, especially near his rump, and found many patches on his body were very sensitive and covered in white specks. I then checked Lulu and found she had similar specks and sensitivity. So I threw away every towel, rug, and sheet that had come into contact with them (a bit rash, but the laundry costs more money than these hand-me-downs). I decided to separate the two to prevent further spread and put grids in the middle of their existing pen to divide them.

All they did was sit by the grids and squeak at each other, trying to nudge through the bars. It broke my heart, and was all I could think about all weekend. I couldn't find Ivermectin in stores (I need to go to the vet ASAP) but right now I have classes so I will have to wait a few more days for Thanksgiving break. It pained me to see them apart, hardly moving and only sulking, so I took away the divider for a minute to let them play. I turned my back and all of the sudden I hear distinct teeth chattering. At first I thought they were just getting used to one another again, but then Lulu lunged at Reed, and it grew louder. I quickly threw a newspaper on them and separated them again. :sad:

But the sulking continues. Reed tries all day to get through the fence, and Lulu did so a few times. I only realized this because I heard the teeth chattering. I don't understand the two of them, but as soon as I can get them to the vet I will treat them both, have their cage completely cleaned of their scents, and attempt to reintroduce them.

Any suggestions?

Shawnee

Cavy Slave
The mites, I think, have been festering for a while. I think that the behavioral problems are due to that. When animals have a parasite it changes who they are completely. I think that after the parasite is gone, the reintroductions will go smoothly.

I don't understand why one of your friends couldn't take them to the vet. They just have to transport and relay information that you give. They sound like they really need to go in ASAP.

But I think reintroductions will be better once they are both rid of the parasite.

Personally I do not think you should have separated them in the first place. They both already had whatever it is. I think it would have been better to have their buddy to get through this, plus just putting grids up won't stop the transfer of most parasites.

AmandaErlandson

Cavy Slave
It doesn't sound like mites to me. Everything I have read says that you can't see them and you said you saw somekind of parasite. And niether of the pigges I have treated for mites had white spots. I deffently think you should get them to the vet. ASAP! I also don't know what good it is to seperate them at this point. It sunds like it is just stressing them out & they both already have the white spot problem. I'm deffently not a vet or anywhere close to a cavy expert... but I would put them back together to reduce the stress.

PS- I would also limit the amount of handling they recieve as well because they are probably in some pain. I say this only because you have friends careing for them and I fear they may wanna play alot with them.

Best of luck to you!

Shawnee

Cavy Slave
It doesn't sound like mites to me. Everything I have read says that you can't see them and you said you saw somekind of parasite. And niether of the pigges I have treated for mites had white spots.

I thought that white spots were part of mites? Guess I am wrong, especially if you have first hand knowledge.

AmandaErlandson

Cavy Slave
Maybe the white spots are lice or is that the same thing as mites? We need some one that knows alot more that us. Hopefully someone will chime in.

citaconnor

Cavy Slave
oh geeze I feel just horrible now! I try to do whats best for them, and I will def take them to the vet ASAP!

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
It does not sound like mites. It could be another kind of parasite or a skin infection. I would see a vet.

I would do a normal intro on neutral ground and then put them into a cleaned and rearranged cage.

Next time, don't separate them if they both have the same symptoms. If you feel like you do need to separate, they should be in separate rooms behind closed doors to prevent the spread of the illness.

Shawnee

Cavy Slave
oh geeze I feel just horrible now! I try to do whats best for them, and I will def take them to the vet ASAP!

We all try to do what's best for them. But we can't be super moms. (maybe if you're teresa, but I doubt it) I always feel like "well what if I did more, what if I had done this, am I doing enough, is she really happy?" But you can't dwell on that and sometimes life gets in the way. Don't worry it happens to everyone. Just do what you can.

citaconnor

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone for the help! I took them to the vet and he said they had no sign of any parasites, and that it was probably dry skin and grease buildup around Reed's grease gland. I may have taken it a bit too far when I separated them! They are living together happily once again!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.