Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cleaning How do you clean such a big cage?

LovenPiggies

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Ok, So I didn't know how to word this in the title so that's why there is a blank.
Anyways, my question is, for those people who have, lets say a... 4x4 CandC cage, How do you clean it? How do you pick up your piggies? how do you reach around in it? With a cage so wide you can just reach across, So how do you do all those things?

Do you get inside the cage? lol Or what? I am so confused and would really like to know.:p

gooberific

Cavy Slave
When I had a larger cage, I would "herd" my pigs into one half, block off the other half, and then I had a much easier time with it. Had it been on the floor, I would've just stepped in. I used to just take out my coroplast box from my 3x4 to swap fleece.

Tessa Bea

Cavy Slave
I have a 3x4, I vacuum up all the poo and then I go and sit in the middle of the cage and herd and pick up the pigs. I find they are less afraid when I'm at their level, if I stand and try to pick them up they all run for their lives! The chase doesn't last as long while I'm sitting amongst them.

EDIT- to clean, I remove the cubes, roll up the fleece and towels, take them outside and shake them, then come back in and put them in the wash.

heartpiggies

Cavy Slave
I step right inside. It's very easy to clean. I keep the hay and litter confined to one area. Gary is pretty well litter trained too.

EvelynsCavies
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

martiru

Cavy Slave
I have a very big cage and "yes", i go inside the cage! The pigs are always in the cage. i remove all things which are in the cage in the one half, clean the one side of the cage and than the other one. have look @ my photos; then you can see why is it possible to get in!

Matt Ceja

Cavy Slave
I have a 2x10 grid cage. I just pull everything out, shake it off outside and put it in the washing machine. It takes 2 loads to clean it all. I do that once a week and during the week I spot clean the entire cage 2 times a day. I don't have to remove them from the cage when I spot clean because they just ignore the vacuum cleaner.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
I just clean it, it needs to be done.

angiekay

Cavy Slave
I just clean it, it needs to be done.

HA, Peggysu, that's funny........."just do it"........lol

I have a 3 X 4 lower level that's on the floor, and yes I get into my cage to reach the back and change out the fleece (once per week), I also have 2 other levels, and I herd them upstairs to the 2 X 4 area, stick a towel in the tunnel so they can't come down until I'm done with level 1 & 2, then same way with the top level.

Of course, spot cleaning once a day for me with a handheld vac, hay/litter pans to ONE area of the entire cage, to keep hay mess to a minimum.

Sugar&Ellie

Cavy Slave
I have a 2x5 so its pretty long, with a second level with extra fleece just thrown about so they can go up there and cuddle. The second level I usually dont have to clean as much as their main level where they eat and drink.

With the main level i just roll up all the towels and take them outside to shake them then bring them back in to wash them. I usually vaccum up all the poops before i do this though, since i like to flush these and then shake out the hay and dander that might not suck up like the poops.

Usually my pigs let me pick them up once they know im there. I let them smell my hand or finger and then i pet there heads, pet their bodies and then i pick them up. If I just reach in and try to grab them they freak out and start running for their lives.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.