Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Coroplast Alternatives All in one Coro/bedding

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
As many of you already know I am currently using table cloths as a coro subtitute and from using that it now has me thinking about a possible good substitute for coroplast tray and bedding as a all in one thing.

The outside or very bottom layer being vynol oilcloth (water proof resistant and breathable) since it is machine washable and two middle layers of a mattress pad, cotton batting, and fleece as the top layer. This is my plan before I order zorb in place of mattress pad. I currently already have the mattress so I am gong to use it. I plan to make it like you would the piggie bedspreads but the side will have ties on them so that it can be tied to the grids easily.

If any of you are interested in seeing this I will upload a pic when I finnish making it. I am not sure how long it will take to finnish. But I do know that I plan to make 2 sets for each cage.

Does anyone think that this would be a good substitute?

PorkChop&Hammie

Cavy Slave
I would love to see pics. I just bought a fleece bedding for my new C&C cage on ebay but it was so much $$$. It has 4 layers including a waterproof layer. I haven't gotten yet. But I was thinking I could make somemore at home.

The only thing is with this one it comes in the same size as my cage so I wont have any over hang.. so it will be just like a mat that sits inside.. not sure if this will be ok or not.

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
I finnished one and it looks really nice. here is a picture for you to see. What do you think? The sides are 7 1/2 inches.

lissie

Cavy Slave
I looks great. Is it thick enough to use directly on top of the grids or did you have to put a solid floor between the grid and bedding?

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
It is thick enough to put directly on the grids, I know cause I pushed on it with my hands and I couldn't feel the grids underneath. Although it took me 2 1/2 days working on it. but then again it was really more like 14-16 hours. Some of it was done with sewing machine and some had to be sewed by hand.

lissie

Cavy Slave
It's a very good idea. Do you think it will take long to dry?

lissie

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry for asking so many questions. I'm really interested because I might have to expand my cage.

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
I don't think it would take long to dry, I don't mind the questions, I too recently re did my cage and I really didn't want to buy mor coroplast when I am one of those poeple that seems to remodel the cage everytime I turn around and I thought that this would be the best option for now.

I also have back problems and see any thing that will make cage cleaning more simple is great for me. Since the sides and everything is one peice I can sweep it or take the shop vack to it without anything pulling out of place and then remove it at the on piggy Laundry day and shake and wash and dry and put it back and not have to reach everthing to scrub coroplast and which kills my back. Piggy cage cleaning day was the day I dreaded as it was too much on my back.

Just putting this on didn't give me any back pain so I think I found my solution.

The very bottom is a vynol but the rest is fleece, cotton batting(2 layers) and a mattress pad and the sides are printed flannel (boyds bears) cotton batting (2 layers) and fleece. Everthing should dry nicely the vynol may take a little longer but it shouldn't be more than running the dryer 2 x since I washed everything before I made it I put it straight in the cage when I finnished it. I will know more about how long it takes to dry in about a week.

The Vynol is a vynol oil cloth so it is very thin vynol.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Thanks for all the info :) I've also been remodeling my cage at least once a month.

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
Remodeling their cages is almost an addiction. lol Another plus to this is no more burrowing under the fleece. I solved/ fixed that problem.

lissie

Cavy Slave
I found table cloth fabric on Joann for $1.6. Is this ok to use?
(broken link removed)
It's 100% PVC Polyester
They didn't say if it's washable or not.

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
The vynol oil cloth that I got is washable and it is vynol with flannel backing if that helps. You can also make this with any vynol although some vynols can be machine washed but may need to hang dry.

The procare fabric would also wor really well as it is the same as what is found on the back of bed pads (washable chucks) that are used in hospitals and nursing homes.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Thanks. I looked at the procare fabric and it's only 36" wide and about $5 something a yard.

jellypicks

Cavy Slave
Where would I find procare fabric? Is that the water proof fabric? What do you use as the absorbant middle layer? Sorry for all the questions...I'm new to guinea pigs.

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
Anotherthing is if the vynol is not machine washable directly you can still use it as a barier to keep any urine from seeping through as in a bottom middle layer and have flannel or any cheap cotton fabric cover the entire outside of to help prevent any damage to the vynol being washed and dried anyway. So really with that thought any vynol will work even a cheap vynol table cloth as long it is not directly exposed to the washer and dryer it should not be affected in any way as long as it is covered with washable, dryable fabric and it is sewed well eneough to prevent shifting.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Thanks. I did some googling and found out that PVC polyester should not be machine wash. Or can be hand wash in cold water. I'm probably not gonna use it. I like to wash my fleece in hot water.

casey's mommy

Cavy Slave
You are a genius!!! I just posted this idea but I dont know enough about fabric to use the right wording. I am so happy now! Thank You

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
You are a genius!!! I just posted this idea but I dont know enough about fabric to use the right wording. I am so happy now! Thank You

You are welcome. And thanks but I am not a genius, just intuitive and a creative thinker.

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
I found table cloth fabric on Joann for $1.6. Is this ok to use?
(broken link removed)
It's 100% PVC Polyester
They didn't say if it's washable or not.

This might help give you better idea as to what vynol fabric to use (broken link removed)

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
Where would I find procare fabric? Is that the water proof fabric? What do you use as the absorbant middle layer? Sorry for all the questions...I'm new to guinea pigs.

This is where (broken link removed) Shop you can find the procare fabric and zorb. Procare is waterproof/resistant. Zorb is very absorbant. I currently am not using either one though. I choose to use things I could get locally then toi have to wait on shipping.

I uses a vynol oilcloth with flannel backing, as for absorbant middle I used 1 Cotton mattress pad cut to size and 2 layers of cotton batting. This has worked really well for me.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.