Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Impaction where do you find your mineral oil?

MySpottedFrog7

Cavy Slave
Where do you find your mineral oil that you use to clean pigs out? Its so hard to come across here!

It can normally be found in any place that sells medications such as a pharmacy or a store that has a pharmacy.

Great! Thank you!

I have found it in the laxative section in the grocery store.

Thanks Peggysue! That was just what I was going to say. Look in the laxative section in the pharmacy of your local walmart, target, or other drug store/store.

You could also use grape seed oil, a natural plant oil. Mineral oil is a petroleum derivative, it used to be called rock oil. As guinea piggs clean themselves, I prefer to use the grape seed oil because I don't worry about them ingesting it.

I like the grape seed oil idea...not too sure where to find that either though? Can you send me in the right direction?

Grapeseed oil can usually be found with other cooking oils, like vegetable oil, in a grocery store.

I would be careful when using that, too, though, because it seems to have questionable shelf life and is thought to go rancid pretty quickly.

I keep mine in the fridge. No problems with going rancid.

I keep mine in the fridge. No problems with going rancid.
I've heard of folks doing that to prolong shelf life, but I don't like that idea much either, as I know I certainly wouldn't want cold oil stuffed up my anal sac.

But there are obviously pros and cons to using either.

You can usually find it in the baby section of most grocery or drug stores.

Funny, Paula. It comes to room temp pretty fast.

Another thing about grapeseed oil is that many brands are solvent-derived, which means that it may have trace amounts of a chemical solvent remaining in the oil - something to consider if consumption is a concern.

Another option would be KY Jelly, though I'm not sure it would be a great deal better in terms of anything they might ingest. There's some thought that plain warm water might be the best way to go.

Thanks for the information. It sounds like I will be able to find something pretty easily..just had to know where to look!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.