Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Thank you for having us

Tripiggies

Cavy Slave
Hey Everyone,

I am a proud new guinea pig owner and am very happy to share my all too common story with everyone. My wife and I have three boys, 4, 2, and a four month old. For the period of a year my sister in law had lived with us and had two cats. When she moved out, our boys were begging for a new pet. Not wanting cat, I was kind of hoping for a smaller animal. I remembered I used to babysit gerbils when I was younger and so I wanted to start there.

(Here is where I start to cringe based off what I have read and what I know now)

So I took my boys to Petco *cringe* and started looking at all the animals. The clerk suggested guinea pigs and educated me on how to care for a guinea pig. Walking into the store I thought I was going to buy a hamster/cage. But after seeing the guinea pig "habitat", I thought I could save money buy reusing our old aquarium *cringe* since it was the same size as what was used in Petco and it held three. So the clerk set me up with all the essentials and my boys picked out their first cavy (Mia).

We went home and set up the aquarium and we were very happy with our new pet. After reading online, I found out that cavy are a herding animal and should have a companion. So the next day I went back to petco *cringe* and made my pick (lynny). The two got along very well and were soon doing laps arround the *cringe* tank. During the next week, I looked into guinea pig behavior and discovered that people had built their own cages. I found out that there was a group of people that were cavy fanatics! I thought I would fit right in because i fell in love with the weeking and purrring. The more I looked into it the more I found out that I NEEDED to expand to a C&C. So I searched every where and finally found material and as a family project we built a two story cage. Then I built a small table for the cage to rest on. After measuring we found it to be 16sq ft not including the ramp and 2nd story we added. After the home was established i surprised the boys and wife with our third (bell).

They love their new home and have take to our family.

Toadies

Cavy Slave
Fanatics are we? I resemble that remark!
Seriously, what a wonderful family project. A lot of us made the "pet store error" but we are different in that we learn and change and improve the lives of our little companions. I know that your future piggies will be rescues/adoptions and the ones you have now will have a wonderful life. I hope that they are all girls (please double check). Welcome to GPC.
PS-Cute babies.

Tessa Bea

Cavy Slave
I'm so glad that you came around and made a change, and just as happy that you've found this forum! It's a great community. Where did Bell come from?

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Welcome!

Please make sure they are all girls (https://www.guinealynx.info/sexing.html). If you are not sure, separate them and take them to a vet to help you. Pet stores very often sex pigs improperly. If they are not all girls, separate the sexes immediately. Even if they are all girls, they may still be pregnant. Pet stores often sell pregnant pigs. Pregnancy is very dangerous for guinea pigs.

Pet store pigs are also very often sick or have mites/lice. I would recommend a vet appointment with an exotics vet. Watch for sneezing, scratching/biting, a runny nose, and lethargy. Be sure to weigh your pigs weekly (this goes for all pigs, not just those from pet stores).

In the future, a new pig should have a three week quarantine behind a closed door. Pigs hide illnesses very easily. Also please adopt from a rescue or shelter in the future. I hope you got your last pig from a rescue or shelter after doing some research.

It sounds like you have a great cage built! Also make sure that you are feeding safe and high quality pellets, high quality hay of the right type, and a proper selection of veggies. Also make sure you are using a safe bedding. If you have any questions, just ask!

princesspoppy

Cavy Slave
I fell into the pet store trap also. Pigs,cage and so on. I'm happy you found all us pig fanatics here. WelcomE you have very cute piggies.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.