Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

water bottle problem!

1frankie7

Cavy Slave
Okay Since I am getting another pig today I went ahead and bought another water bottle.

Okay then I put in in with the new cage full of water and I come back an hour later to visit charlie and the ENTIRE THING was EMPTY! and I look at the package it says you have to let water dribble out byu pushing the ball until it creates suction I did that and it drips ANOTHER bottle full of water so far thats 32 ounces of water lost. It is a lixit bottle and it has double balls so it doesent drip very much accept it drips so much theres no water in it! So I put a bowl underneath the water bottle and now the bowl is full and the bottle is empty AGAIN!

I would get a different water bottle. It sounds like this one just makes a mess.

Some slaves use the Buddy Bottle (I think that's the name) and it works differently from most water bottles. It seem to receive favorable reviews but it is being phased out by the maker, so if you interested, check it out quickly. Check bunnyrabbit.com.

I've been through many, many bottles of all different brands, and one thing I've noticed is that if I fill the bottle up, put the sippy on it and squeeze water out of it, it seems to create a vacuum better than tapping the ball. Just squeeze it over the sink and keep it in the same position that it will be mounted in while you carry it to the cage. I don't know if that would help at all or if you've even tried it...sorry if you have!!

I like to use bottles that have a spring loaded ball. They never leak and are the same price as the others.

Some slaves use the Buddy Bottle (I think that's the name) and it works differently from most water bottles. It seem to receive favorable reviews but it is being phased out by the maker, so if you interested, check it out quickly. Check bunnyrabbit.com.

It's called the Water Buddy, and I would highly recommend it.

I have three different brands of bottles and they work all work fine (knock on wood).

When you are filling the water bottle are you filling it all the way up to the top. Two of mine need to be filled all the way up. The Lixit I have is a little finicky and I fill it up and then before going over to the cage I press the ball a few times to make sure water comes out and that it seals. I carry it down and don't tip it up.

I like to use bottles that have a spring loaded ball. They never leak and are the same price as the others.

I have found that the spring loaded bottles (Critter Canteens in particular) work a little too well. I can't get water out of them for the life of me. I actually had a pet rat almost die while I was gone for the weekend because she could not get any water out >(

That is interesting i have never had an issue but i check it a few times a day. Though i can understand the concern, but with my luck the ones that are springloaded usually leak for me.

I have three different brands of bottles and they work all work fine (knock on wood).

When you are filling the water bottle are you filling it all the way up to the top. Two of mine need to be filled all the way up. The Lixit I have is a little finicky and I fill it up and then before going over to the cage I press the ball a few times to make sure water comes out and that it seals. I carry it down and don't tip it up.

I guess I should try again before I go to return it.

Are you filling the bottle as full as you can? That matters in ball bearing bottles. I have a brand from Wal-Mart called First Nature and they've never leaked when filled properly and I have several of these bottles in different sizes. If you don't get them full to the brim, they don't create a good vacuum. I do nothing more than fill them completely, screw the lid on, flip the bottle upside and pop the bottle back on the cage.

Yes I fill it right to the top and It kind of worked I took the little turtle out and that actually did help a little And I think I an guvung this bottle another chance.

Unfortunately, Edstrom has stopped making the Water Buddy altogether. It really was the best water bottle and I never had any leaks from it. You might be able to find some that are still out there, though.

In case you are unable to find a Water Buddy at a reasonable price, I have found three similar water bottles with the no leak valve system.

(broken link removed) $3.75

(broken link removed) $4.50

(broken link removed) (under bottles on left hand side menu) $4.99

Hopefully this helps!

In case you are unable to find a Water Buddy at a reasonable price, I have found three similar water bottles with the no leak valve system.

As already mentioned, bunnyrabbit.com has them in stock in the different sizes for the same prices they have always been available for. They have extra parts available as well.

Yes, they do have them, but in a limited supply. Eventually, they will be gone. There are less than a hundred left of each size.

THANK goodness someone ELSE besides ME has this problem. (not that I would wish this on ANYONE LOL) I have had three water bottles leak out over the years losing ALL the water (32 ounces) no matter WHAT I tried with them. I would have taken them BACK but I mangled the packaging on two and I was too embarassed for the third one. I feel for you I truly do cause it just happened here with my spare bottle so four for four on bottles LOL. It just seems like some must have some minor defects so luckily it was a spare bottle I don't NEED so it went the way of the dumpster. GOOD LUCK on finding a new bottle or "fixing" the leaker you have :)

according the the pavkage if the cap is not on tight enough it will drip without stopping until all the water is gone!

Note to self: always read the instructions before use.

Believe me I have tried EVERYTHING with those bad water bottles I had and trust me they were FULL as you could get them and the cap as TIGHT as could be and they STILL leaked out ALL the water. They were all different brands too but one WAS a LIXIT that I trusted 100% as I have two for three years now that never leaked a drop. Someone told me a rubber o ring could be the culprit or somehow a small tiny un noticeable hole could be the culprit but I threw out all but one of the bottles (I kept the LIXIT) so maybe I should try the o ring thing but it looks fine to me. OH well live and learn I guess. But trust me, I tried everything I could think OF to save the bottles cause I hate wasting money and throwing anything out :) But I am glad- OK- relieved I wasn't ALL ALONE in having some water bottle troubles :) In fact, I had a GLASS bottle too and it leaked. OK, the whole bottle cracked in HALF on me LOL due to a pig that LOVES to pull water bottles around and occasionally, OFF the cage WALL!!! Maybe my "leaky" bottles have more to do with PIG than BOTTLES :) She's a pistol my Muffin Stuffin LOL

its good to have someone who knows how I feel.
I made the lixit it workand if you fiddle with it enough it will work its just not so fun until you get it to work!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.