Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Oldest pig you have/had

Duffinvt

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Just curious who has had the most elderly pig here on the site. And what can one expect of a geriatric pig. Problems, issues, changes in behavior, etc.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I have a 5 1/2 year old Aby. The only thing I've noticed as she has gotten older is that she tends to lay around a bit more. She's had no problems her entire life and she's been with me for almost 5 years (next month). Her normal behavior hasn't changed. She still explores during floortime, she still eats well and she still chases Chatty around when she goes into heat and rumblestrutts at her.

Tessa Bea

Cavy Slave
I have no "definite" ages on any of my current pigs except my two youngest- who are 3 and 1. I only have one pig from the past whose age I knew for sure. She was Mojo Jojo, a guinea I had while I was younger and still lived at my parents, daughter of a missexed pig and a preexisting pig. She lived from May 5, 2002 until November 2007. I think she would have lived longer had I known how to care for her properly, and if I hadn't left her in my brothers care and joined the army in her later years. :(

Pulsepoint129

Cavy Slave
My sow Skittles was born around March of 2001. (can't give you the exact date-of-birth, as my parents got her for me as a surprise when I was 17 at the time; we'd had three guinea pigs from my last year of junior high until our house burned down a week before Christmas in 1998; they tragically died in the housefire :weepy:)

Skittles lived until December of 2004--I was devastated, because it was a URI that LITERALLY hit her out of nowhere. The day prior, and right before I went to sleep that night, she was popcorning around and being her usual jovial self; the afternoon after I'd gotten out of my class, she had crusty eyes, wheezing breath, and lethargy. At that time, (I only just discovered this site in March of this year) I didn't know any better so I figured she'd just heal on her own; she never made it into the night.

WheekiePiggy123

Cavy Slave
I got my first Guinea Pig when I was in 5th grade, her name was muffin and she lived up until the end of my junior year of high school. She was 6 years old!

Jenni_Feathers

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
My first Guinea Pig lived about (not for sure how old she was when we got her) 7 years. We had her for 6 years and 10 months. She passed back in 2003. I didn't notice much change in her behavior as she aged until the last few months, when I remember she had a bit of hairloss, I don't know if it was age related though, or if it was from an underlying condition that might had caused her death.

trump_cinnamon

Cavy Slave
The absolute oldest pig I've ever had was 8, but we adopted her when she was 4. My family got her when I was really young.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.