Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How do those hammocks work?

AmandaErlandson

Cavy Slave
Ok, I have what is probably a stupid question. I have never seen a cage in person that has one of those hammocks, but I've seen pics. Do the piggies use them? How do they get in them? It seems like it would be very difficult for them. I am starting my wish list for getting my piggies (still looking for some to adopt) and for their cage. Just wondering if I should add one of these to the list. Thanks! ❤️

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a hammock that I put in my cage, but they couldn't ever get in it because whenever they put their front legs on it, the hammock would push back, not allowing them to get in, so I just took it out.

Yeah that is what I thought would happen. That is why I kept trying to figure it out. Thanks!!!

I'm not a fan of the hammocks also. My pigs are happy with cozies,cuddle cups and little fleece tent hanging over one corner of the cage.

Well, some piggies can use them if they are brave enough. You have to put them low, so they can climb on. Some piggies would use them, while others would not. Other things that Most piggies would love to lay on are:

Cuddle Cups, Very Good, Piggies Love them, Make Your Own: (broken link removed)Or buy one from (broken link removed)

Sleeping Bags, Great! Easier to make than Cuddle Cups, for the not-so-great- sewers, including me! https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/accessories/43953-making-sleeping-bag-cozy-part-1-a.htmlYou can also buy them from the link above.

My pigs love theirs. They sleep in it quite a bit. I also fill it with hay so they think it is just great to lay, in the hammock, in the hay. I made mine. Just a large square of material folded in to a triangle. I sewed ribbons on to each corner. Easy to do.

I have a hammock but I hung it low enough to the ground that it basically sits on the floor of the cage, and then the sides of it go up to make a kind of 'sling.' One of my piggies, Truffle, absolutely loves it and spends several hours each night sleeping in it; I think she likes it because the sides go up around her body pretty high, so she feels protected and warm.

Mine love theirs. Out of six pigs, only one doesn't like to sit in the hammock.

But I didn't buy a hammock. I used to make a towel tent for them to hide under and when I would clean them, I would clip the bottom corner of the tent to the lid of the cage so I could clean behind it. One day I forgot to unclip it and I found Carlton just hanging out, happy as a clam on it. So since then, I have experimented with different ways to hang various pieces of material and such. I think I have found the best method.

I clip a dish towel to the cage lid. It hangs down in a U-shape. When they jump in, it doesn't have much swing and them seem to like how it cradles them. I fold the whole short end of the towel over about an inch and clip the whole end with binder clips (5 or 6 of them, each end) to the lid, not just the corners, and I think that helps it not to sway. I use a terrycloth dish towel instead of fleece because the terrycloth is thick and textured, so the fabric won't slide out of the binder clips the way fleece might.

Here's a pic of Errol enjoying the hammock:

I just made Lucy a new square hangiing hamock and coincidentaly pigged a towel up over her bed in the corner of the cage so it was nice and hidey... Now she sleep in the towel over her bed and pushes her hamock back and forth with her nose (but wont get in it):rolleyes:

I rotate the stuff in my pigs' cage to keep things interesting. I have a fleece-lined hammock that I bought. I put it up in the corner and just hang the sides low so they can climb in it. Some of them like to get in it and others love to hide underneath it. I think it makes some of the piggies nervous to try to climb in as it is wobbly, but the more adventurous ones love it.

When I first set up a hammock, Buffy jumped straight in it and sat there for a bit then jumped out never to set foot in it again. Both my piggers seem to prefer to hide under it than to get in.

Missformosa - that hammock looks really good! I might have to try one like that instead of the 'corner' sort of hammock I have at the moment. Maybe they will prefer it.

Oh just a quick note...There was a vid on youtube of piggies playing in a hammock which I thought was so cute. The author of the video later updated it saying that one of the pigs had chewed threads from the hammock and suffocated while they weren't home. The hammock looked to be made out of a large hankerchief that the piggies managed to chew and get threads off. I will be being extra careful after reading that. It is probably common sense anyway but thought I would share.

Buttons and Nelly, (2/3 of my guinea pigs) love the hammock! They'll jump onto it without any hesitation.

My girls love theirs. They'd rather sleep in their hammocks or on top of their pigloo. They also jump from on top of their hammock to the other hammock when they get excited. Here's a picture of Scooter just relaxing on hers. I like to keep the hammock stretched as tight as it can go.
[/IMG]

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.