Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General How much poo is normal?

elguapo

Cavy Slave
We have 2 females that we adopted two weeks ago. They are about 9 months old. We just put them into a large c&c cage with towel bedding (and some aspen), but it seems like there is an awful lot of poo. Can anyone comment on how much would be "normal" for these two?

Thanks!

wigglesgiggles1

Cavy Slave
I don't think there is a "normal" amount. As long as they are eating good, acting normal and don't have diariha they are fine.

anniewntsaG-PIG

Cavy Slave
Normal poo for my pigs is TONS of poo! Hehe! But yeah, like Wiggles said, it depends on the pig. Have you thought of fleece, or is aspen more convenent?

JD In Van

Cavy Slave
TONS AND TONS of poo. I vacuum incredible amounts of poo out of the cage every day.

gooberific

Cavy Slave
My pair of boars typically will almost fill a large Country Crock container daily.

poopysmom

Cavy Slave
Yea they are pretty scary with the poo thing LOL
From what I have understand, have poo is better than no poo. Because if they are not eating or constipated... It just meant that they are unwell...

You can try using the poo as manure if you have a garden?

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
I was thinking about using my piggies poo for that too but my husband was too grossed out! <laughs> Rather have piggy poo than chemicles! It is a lot. 2 of my piggies fill 3 dust pans a day. Another of my 2 piggies only do 1. I think they eat more poo than the other 2 do! Poo is good! Believe me somedays when they are sick you will be praying for poo.

Wodentoad

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs have a digestive system that is in constant motion. They are foragers and as such are constantly eating, and so, constantly pooping. I swear I don't know where they get the mass for that much poo, but that's the science.

I'm thinking of using the poo for... um... I'll think of something funny later. It's late and I'm tired. I have three boars, and I have a gallon bag of poo and spilled hay. mostly poo. I fear what those with herds upon herds of pigs have to clean up! Yikes!:melodrama

heartpiggies

Cavy Slave
Gary poops A LOT. But it's limited to the "kitchen" area and wherever he sleeps :confused: He doesn't just go all over the fleece. His poop really doesn't gross me out at all. It's dry, formed and doesn't smell. It gets a lot worse, as far as animals go. I think cat poop is the absolute most disgusting and stinky of all LOL.

Dichotomy83

Cavy Slave
i clean poop out of my two young boars' cage multiple times a day. probably enough to equal about 2-3 oz, or almost half a cup of poop. milo is 4 months. pepper is about 7 weeks, we think.

Simonmaal

Cavy Slave
Tons:)

I spend a good portion of my day sweeping it out. I actually don't mind because it's one of the best fertilizers around, it's free and my heather garden is consequently as healthy as it gets!

princesspoppy

Cavy Slave
A huge amount. My girls actually go above and beyond the usual amounts when they visit the vet. Think i scare the poop outta them before each visit. I got a little hand held vaccum and you'd be surprised how fast will fills up.

Duffinvt

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
The poop is wonderful for the garden, compost, or in my case, my worm farm. I keep a container with uneaten pellets, hay, poop and the veggies they reject and put it in the compost. Remember that guinea pigs are herbivores and their poop is not nasty like meat-eating animals like cats and dogs. Really, it is a shame to throw it away as it is good for any outdoor plants !

fridzalone

Cavy Slave
My piggies poo a lot everyday. I sweep 3 times everyday.
My sister prefer to call them choco chips rather than poo lol

Ilovemypiggies1

Cavy Slave
Lots and lots is normal! What isn't normal is if your piggies are constipated or are not eating. But if you see lots of poop, it is healthy. I usually dump the poop on my grass*laughs* because it tends to stink up my garbage.

jamie15701

Cavy Slave
My boars poo ALL THE TIME! So I think it is ok for them to poo a ton. You can always consult a cavy savvy vet if you are really worried.

RosiesMama

Cavy Slave
It really is astonishing! I think my piggy produces enough poo to equal her entire body weight in one week. I grossed myself out today when I realized what that would equate to, if we humans were that productive.

Simonmaal

Cavy Slave
The poop is wonderful for the garden, compost, or in my case, my worm farm. I keep a container with uneaten pellets, hay, poop and the veggies they reject and put it in the compost.

I used to do that but unfortunately a family of rats took up residence and we got a visit from pest control. I think they enjoyed the warmth generated by the decomposing vegetable matter and, of course, the hay. We live out in the country and every winter the rats come in off the fields looking for food.

Just beware that it can happen and you become the least popular person in the neighbourhood! But herbivore poops are great organic fertilizers!

I would advise using a compost bin with a bottom and therefore inaccessible to large rodents! All the droppings swept out on a daily basis can get dug into the ground or scattered into pots or around the base of trees, shrubs etc. It doesn't smell like manure would if you used that.

GizzyandMe

Cavy Slave
I have found that if Gizzy decided to only eat the leafy veggies on her plate that she poops a lot more than on days where she equals it out a bit with the other veggies.

ChristyG

Cavy Slave
My piggies leave TONS of poop, I do a clean up of there cage daily, and as soon as I sweep up the poopies, I swear there is more in seconds!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.