Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Grids I found a new kind of grid!

Kipsie

Cavy Slave
Well, one that I haven't seen people use, anyway. It looks exactly the same as the metal grids people use, but it's made with durable polypropylene plastic. AND it looks like a good deal, apart from shipping. It has a metal frame. I was searching for mesh grids online (where the company would deliver to the USA, or atleast Canada), when I came upon this. The cage would be open, so they can breath and I can access them easily. The connectors are different from the ones I had, but I think they'll work the same? If not, I do have zip ties. And do you think it's at all possible for the pigs to chew the plastic? If that's the case, I could always put the coroplast tray inside of the cage.

(broken link removed)

They sell many colors of cubes. lol

JD In Van

Cavy Slave
My piggies are in an acrylic pen that's about 16 inches deep and open top and they haven't chewed at all... they can't get up high enough to find an edge they could get their teeth into though.

I really like these grids here though. Finer mesh or solid is nice because it doesn't allow them to kick stuff out of the pen (though with fleece that's not as big an issue). And as long as it's opened topped you should have sufficent ventilation.

If you make one let us know how it goes. I really like the idea though.

Also on that site though: (broken link removed)

$7.99 for 9 loose panels isn't too bad if you just need a few more to expand some.

princesspoppy

Cavy Slave
Hi kip. I saw another member using these . Looks good. I saw the post and photo under the search "GRIDS"

Africa

Cavy Slave
But with those shoe grids the piggies cant see outside of the cage so nicely. I think they enjoy seeing the daily activity around their cages- helps a little with boredom. Thats the only downfall I can think of - although one person in that previous post used the grids with the open holes just for the front side of the cage - so that could work if you only use the plastic grids for the sides of the cage that are up against the wall

Kipsie

Cavy Slave
I'll consider buying them. And shipping is just over 13 bucks. o_O

fieryone

Cavy Slave
I've seen these at Target and almost bought them to use for the back side of my cage, but changed my mind. I thought it would be good for keeping the hay inside the cage. Let us know how they work out for you. I'm still considering it for when I rebuild my cage.

princesspoppy

Cavy Slave
But with those shoe grids the piggies cant see outside of the cage so nicely. I think they enjoy seeing the daily activity around their cages- helps a little with boredom. Thats the only downfall I can think of - although one person in that previous post used the grids with the open holes just for the front side of the cage - so that could work if you only use the plastic grids for the sides of the cage that are up against the wall

Have to agree with you africa,They look nice but i can't imaging having to look at the same 4 walls day in and day out.It would make anyone loopy:crazy:. Maybe 2 or 3 regular grids could replace 2 or 3 pieces of plastic ones..

Kipsie

Cavy Slave
Have to agree with you africa,They look nice but i can't imaging having to look at the same 4 walls day in and day out.It would make anyone loopy:crazy:. Maybe 2 or 3 regular grids could replace 2 or 3 pieces of plastic ones..

Yeah, I thought of that. I could have the opaque grids along the back and sides where they touch the room wall and regular grids in front. I'm thinking of a 3x4 cage.

JD In Van

Cavy Slave

My boys are new but since they came from a place where they got no floor time or anything they seem to find seeing the big wide world pretty over welming.

I've got white acrylic for their pen walls and it's directly beside my chair in the living room so I can reach down and put my hand in their pen and they can sniff at me or see and hear us when we're in the living room (which we are 90% of the time we're home) but I think the walls make them feel safer besides that. When I put them on the floor or out in the open any where the poor guys go into shock and cower in their house/under a blanket/under people's legs. It's too much for them to be just out there in the world with out any of what they would consider to be protection.

angiekay

Cavy Slave
I love these, I would absolutely love to find some at Target (fieryone said), for just using in the loft/kitchen area where their hay is, and see if it helps with keeping the hay in, and that way, WE don't see the mess as much and more of the "prettier" side of the cage. That's my thinking anyways, let us know how they work out anyone?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.