Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Expansion Process

Plummie

Cavy Slave
Hi all, I currently have a 4x2 C&C cage and I would like to now expand it to double the size, comfortable enough for 4-5 sows. I'm thinking of either an H-configuration (two 4x2 cages side by side with a "pedway" connecting them) or an L-configuration. I would also like to be able to divide the cages in two if needed, but then open them back up if all is well.

I'm looking for suggestions/tips/ or pictures to start with. How can I make a removable divider and what's the best way to deal with the coroplast issue to contain the bedding? I'm thinking of just cutting a flap for the piggies to pass through and I could just fold the flap under and tape it in place on the bottom when the cages are open. Then if the cage needs to be divided and closed, I can pull it back up and tape it into the upright position. Does this make sense? Does it seem feasible?

I'm thinking I could use extra grids for the actual divider and just cut/reinstall cable ties as needed as they are cheap. But I'm open to other ideas! I basically need to be able to have two distinct separate cages in case of fighting or in case it doesn't work out with all the females. But if they can live happily together then they can have one giant cage. If you have any thoughts or ideas, please share!

AngelsCavies

Cavy Slave
Do a full coroplast for wall only around the edge. Leave no wall where the pedway is that you say you want to do. Put a divider in there if they fight if now remove the divider and its free to go. The bedding can go both sides with out falling on the floor. I cant really explain well but hope this one helps you.

Plummie

Cavy Slave
I see what you mean. The L-configuration might be better spacewise for the room, so I'm leaning towards that design now. I basically need a way to keep the two 4x2 cages convertible so they can be one cage or two. This means the coroplast trays need to be able to stay intact, but I think I have found a way to do this. We'll see how it goes!

Poohbear
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.