Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

surprise baby....

kerrierou

Cavy Slave
okay, i wasnt so sure where to post this.
i wanted a pet a while back, but i still live at home. my parents said no cat or dog, so i had to get an animal i could keep in my room in a cage. i got 2 girl piggies from the pet store (this was before i knew you could adopt them, otherwise i would have donet that).
my boyfriend had one when he was younger, so i thought he knew enough about them. but he didnt.
i did research and made the 2 girls a 4x2 C&C cage, lined it with pads and fleece, bought them good hay and pellets. i've had them for about a month and a half.

i woke up this morning and saw a little furball in the cage. one of the girls had given birth. it was a total shock, i couldnt believe it. i had no idea she was preggo. she must have been pregnant when i got her (my brown one had a baby). my boyfriend was just saying the black piggie looked fat this past weekend, and now that im reading about them being pregnant, i think the black one is too.....but probaly with more than one. the brown one was smaller than the black, and only had one. im so upset, the pet store is so irresponsible and must have kept the girls and boys together.

i read up on babies & the book said they are born very mature, full with hair and that they grow most within the first week.
said they start eating whole foods (pellets, hay) after the first day or two and veggies after a couple weeks.
anyone have any information they can give me? i was caught off guard to see a baby in the cage this morning and im trying to get all the information i can.

i know that i have to take the boys out by 3 weeks or they'll start to get "frisky" with the mom and sisters.....and i dont want anymore babies. if my other girl has babies i'll have to give them away.

thanks in advanced to anyone that responds!

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
You may want to try and sex them many times for the first few weeks to make sure they are indeed male or female since sexing a young guinea pig can be tricky since they squirm a lot and pet stores very often missex and sales pregnant piggies.

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
Well, as far as care wise, I found that unless the mother rejects the baby, she knows what to do. You can handle them as soon as you wants, just be very careful. Like you said, they eat veggies and everything else within a day or so but still drink mama's milk. Enjoy your new little one!

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Make sure you baby proof your cage.

Are you positive both of your adults are girls? If you're not sure, separate them until you do know (a vet can help you out).

You are correct about separating the babies at 21 days.

kerrierou

Cavy Slave
What do you mean by "baby proof" the cage? Like make sure theres not small holes they can go thru/get stuck in? If thats what you mean then thats done, I have 6" walls so the baby is fine.

I am almost positive they are both girls. The pet store checked and said they were (but they probaly dont know too much...) and i did look and they did both look like females from the websites i referenced. My brown one had the baby, and the black looks really pregnant so im assuming they are definitely both female.

thanks guys!

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Babies need either 10" walls or overlapping grids. 6" walls are not sufficient. You can do a forum search for "baby proof" to get more information.

If you are not 100% positive they are both girls, separate them until you are sure. Do not rely on what the pet store told you. They are often wrong, and they sold you at least one pregnant pig, so obviously you can't trust them. If you aren't positive, take them to a vet.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
How long have you had them?

Are you sure the original two are both females?

IluvePiggies

Cavy Slave
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.