Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Greetings

RunningRagged

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone,

I plan on getting a guinea pig for my daughter's 9th birthday next month and maybe also one for me (same sex, no breeding here). I had one when I was young and have always had a soft spot for them. (This addition to the family is not spurred by the guinea pig movie, but rather has been planned for the last 6 months.)

I have ordered a cage from this website (10.5 sq feet) and I am reading all the nutrition, health, and care taking suggestions on this forum. It is all very helpful information, and I wish I would have had that when I had my guinea pig back in the day. :love:

Well, to make a long story short. We plan on getting at least one mid August, but I am a little hesitant as to where I should get our new addition to the family from. I don't plan on getting it from the pet store.

We have been looking at craigslist postings, but are a little hesitant about those. Do any of you have any suggestions as to what we should look for when looking at those ads or where we can get one (or two) other than the pet store?

Thanks,

Penny

Last edited by a moderator:

SFailed186

Cavy Slave
I think the best thing is to look for someone who will talk to you through e-mail. That shows, in my opinion, that they care about the well-being of their pet(s). We recently adopted a American satin female from a wonderful lady off of Craigslist. The process of finding the right pig and person was pretty simple, it went like this;

1. Look at all local adds
2. Decide if the person was genuine about finding a good home
3. E-mail and wait for a reply

We talked to this lady for about two weeks. She wanted to see our other guinea pigs and their cage so she could understand what kind of home her girl would have. She asked us all kinds of questions regarding bedding, diet, and play time. You could definitely tell that she wanted the best for little "Val" (now Villie). I would describe it as a real human adoption process. :D

RunningRagged

Cavy Slave
Thank you! I will start looking through the local papers as well.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
Welcome to GPC! Guinea pigs are a lot of fun and this is one of the best sites to get good information on proper care. I would recommend getting two of them. Are you looking for just babies? With craigslist make sure you sex them yourself when you get them and then use a vet as a second oppinion if you are unsure. I recently rescued a two year old boar off of craigslist. He's a doll. When I got him he was very dirty and a little sick so he had to be treated for that. Just remember you're saving a little life that someone doesn't want. If you keep your daughter involved in the process of rescuing a piggie I feel it would be a great experience for her.

Anyways, Good luck and if you have any questions you can't find answers to, just ask.

CavyLuver516

Cavy Slave
Have you tried www.petfinder.com? That's how I found out about my 2 new piggers! If you get the guinea pigs checked by a vet, then adopting some from Craiglist is fine.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Try your local animal shelters or rescues too.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! I'm sure your daughter will be very happy. I assume that you will still be ultimately responsible for the care? Also, guinea pigs are very social animals and need to be kept in pairs or groups. Your best bet is to find two same-sex pigs that are already living together and get them both. Or if you have a rescue near you, they will be able to help you with introductions. If you get them off of Craigslist, look for owners that have a large cage, proper food, and are asking a rehoming fee. They are more likely to be able to help you out. Good luck finding your pigs!

RunningRagged

Cavy Slave
Thank you for all the information and the warm welcome! I have found (with the help of petfinder.com) a guinea pig rescue shelter about 2.5 hours from our house. I will try the local animal shelters this week; however, I don't want to get them until we get our cage in the mail, which should be the beginning of next week.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
I would definitely recommend getting them from a rescue if possible--driving extra is much, much better than getting pigs that don't get along or are sick or are sexed wrong. Rescues will also be able to help you out with any problems down the road. Additionally, many rescues can help you out with transportation, so you may be able to meet them partway.

RunningRagged

Cavy Slave
They are home

Today we went to the Capital Area Humane Society to look at three female piggies. We fell in love immediately and didn't want to split them up. The problem was that our C&C cage had not arrived so all we could do was adopt them and have the humane society hold them for us until next week.

On the way home we got a text from the hubby telling us a large package had arrived. The cage was here! We turned around and took Tess, Terrie, and Tasha home!

The hubby had set the cage up, but we realized that it was much bigger than we anticipated. A trip to the hardware was in store to get some plywood. We also stopped at the pet store to get our little gals all the things they needed (including a salt lick and mineral stone, which we since then have pitched into the trash).

We plan on getting another house for them, being that Tess does not like to share hers. Tomorrow we plan on getting a top for it so that the cats can't get to them, until then we'll keep the door to their room closed.

Pictures will follow tomorrow. It's time for this piggy lover to go to bed.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Cool! thanks for adopting. We love piggie pics too.

You can build a lid out of extra grids or shelving unit.

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
That's great. I'm glad your husband was able to get ahold of you before you got home. I know you'll enjoy them.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
I'm glad you adopted them! I recommend at least 3 and preferably 4 hideys. They can be cheap--a box with holes cut out works just fine. It's best to have more than one entrance/exit in each hidey so they don't get trapped.

wigglesgiggles1

Cavy Slave
Please post pictures for us! I am sure they are adorable.

RunningRagged

Cavy Slave
Here they are. Meet Terrie (black, brown, and white), Tess (cream & gray), and Tasha (brown & white):

Greetings

Allyson

Cavy Slave
Aww, what cute piggies! I want to steal the tan/grey one lol

Ibbet

Cavy Slave
How adorable!
Congrats on your new additions.
I love Terrie!

wigglesgiggles1

Cavy Slave
They are adorable!

dra&pigs

Cavy Slave
They are very cute! I am tempted to go steal them away from you...:p

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.