Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Did the male actually get the female?

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
I rebuild my cage recently to a 3x7 divided down the middle with boys on one side and the girls on the otherside. Everything was fine the first few days and they were staying on their own sides well on day 4 when I got up I found one of the boys in the girls cage and I think one of the females was in heat as she was mounting the other girl and acting more dominant than usual.
I removed the boy and put him back in his cage and I think but not sure exactly how he ended up in the girls cage to begin with. I removed the hideys from the boy's cage and left their tunnel and their cozy sacks so they have those to hide in. I think he climbed on top of the hideys and jumped over to the girls cage. Since I removed the hideys they have been staying on their side but looking at the girls through the grids.

I have 2 questions, One is about what age do males guinea pigs start going through puberty? And two, is their away to tell if he actually got my female?

I checked both girls right after removing the boy when I discovered he was in their cage and put him back in his cage, then I checked both girls and the 2 year old girl was dry in that area however my Inka (the one I think that was in heat) was wet down there and it was glue looking so would that mean he got her? I hope not, especially since she had had a stillborn May. She is 7 months now.

I am worried about this now and I have taken care to insure that the boys cannot get into the girls cage again. I am also planning to build another C&C cage just for the boys in another room after I get rid of some things so that I have the room to make them a good size cage for them or I am also thinking about rehomeing the boys (but I really don't want to part with them or the girls) I have been thinking about this for a while now and I do know that the soonest I could build another cage for the boys is in september since I would have to get more grids and coroplast. And also if he did actually get my girl pregnant she should have the babies by then and I will be able to know how many and how many of them are males and females and what size cage I will for sure need for all males.

I am rambling with my thoughts here, sorry, and thanks in advance for any reponses. I feel so bad about what has happened.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
The puberty age varies but if he is over 21 days old, he is fertile and can successfully mate with a sow.

You should take them to a vet and have each sow checked over. You may want to do pre-emptive spays than wait and see if you have a good cavy vet, depending on the age and health of the sows.

Milkingit

Cavy Slave
Instead of making a new cage, and you want to keep them together, you can put a lid on the males cage so they can't climb over the grid walls.

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
Chewy is about 4 months old and Aztec is 5 months and Chewy is the one that managed to get into the girl's cage.

The girls are 7 months and 2 years old and they have both had a previous litter. Inka had her first litter back in May of this year a stillborn. Ceilli, I am not sure when exactly when she had her litter I have only had her a few months now and I got the empression that she has had more than one litter of pups from her.

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
Instead of making a new cage, and you want to keep them together, you can put a lid on the males cage so they can't climb over the grid walls.

I thought of that, but see if Chewy actually got my female like I think he possibly did then I will have to build another cage any way in order to accomidate babies and the fact that I have 2 females means that he could have got both girls pregnant. I don't think I will know for sure for at least 3-4 weeks as this happened a week ago now. I am just thinking and trying to prepare myself for the worst.

Right now part of the boys side is now covered so that they can not get back over to the girls incase by chance I get lucky and niether girl is preggo. But knowing my luck they willo both be preggo so I need to be prepared to build another cage if that ends up being the case.

fieryone

Cavy Slave
Oh man! I hope she's not pregnant. Thanks for the reminder that a determined male will get to the ladies if he really wants to! My boy is getting neutered this morning and his quarantine is up in one week which is when I was going to put him next to the girls for the remaining week or two to get used to each other. I'm going to double up grids and make a top just to be safe. Wow. I'm sorry this happened.

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
Oh man! I hope she's not pregnant. Thanks for the reminder that a determined male will get to the ladies if he really wants to! My boy is getting neutered this morning and his quarantine is up in one week which is when I was going to put him next to the girls for the remaining week or two to get used to each other. I'm going to double up grids and make a top just to be safe. Wow. I'm sorry this happened.

That sounds like a good idea but you don't need to double grid unless he is small and can fit through the grids. Keep him seperated for 3 weeks after his neutering.

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
The puberty age varies but if he is over 21 days old, he is fertile and can successfully mate with a sow.

You should take them to a vet and have each sow checked over. You may want to do pre-emptive spays than wait and see if you have a good cavy vet, depending on the age and health of the sows.

Wouldn't a pre-emptive spay be killing any unborn babies if she is pregnant? Wouldn't that be just like an abortion?

fieryone

Cavy Slave
That sounds like a good idea but you don't need to double grid unless he is small and can fit through the grids. Keep him seperated for 3 weeks after his neutering.

He's not small at all but I'm taking NO chances ;) And Teresa (Cavy Spirit) concurs that after 2 FULL weeks (no less than 14 days) a male is safe, but it will probably end up being 3 anyway due to the rest of his quarantine time and wanting the girls to get used to him for a little while and vice versa.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
You actually only need to keep him away from the female for two full weeks after his neuter.

As for double grids, if you have an open top on your cage, I'd suggest anything you can possibly do to avoid an unwanted pregnancy. If that means double grids, great. I'd also suggest a top of some sort as well. Better safe than, well, pregnant.

Wouldn't a pre-emptive spay be killing any unborn babies if she is pregnant? Wouldn't that be just like an abortion?
It would be better all the way around for the health of your sows, especially if indeed this was an accidental thing.

If your male pig is 4 months old, it's very possible both your pigs are pregnant. And I strongly suggest you put some sort of top on the cages while they are sharing a grid wall, so that in the event the females are NOT pregnant, the males won't have the opportunity to get them pregnant.

I think a vet visit is definitely in order for the girls, in any case.

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
I already put a grid over the boys part so I know they can't get to them now. I will be taking them to the vet.

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
*Update*

I have taken both my sows to the vet and they are in good health and I will not be spaying them. The 2 year old is not pregnant, however Inka who is now 7 1/2 - 8 months is pregnant and the pups should be due between Sept. 15 -28 is my best guess based on gestation. However, the vet said since this is her 2nd pregnancy to count on their being more than one or two this time. Her first pregancy ended in a stillbirth and only one. I will start a new post when the pups have arrived and all is is doing well.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.