Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Pregnant Piggie - am I doing enough

Kimsigns2

Cavy Slave
Hi there,
new the site... I've had to refresh my memory a little bit and this site has really helped. I had piggies when I younger and absolutely loved them!
I rescued a mama and one of her babies 2 weeks ago (for my daughter) and I've since discovered that mama is pregnant. They mentioned that they had to remove a male baby when they guy brought them in. so when I noticed her belly - I put the two things together... so now I'm trying to prepare for the babies. It's been a while since I've done the baby thing... and I want to make sure that I do the right thing and that I do enough for her.. some things have changed over the last several years...

The baby that I got is probably about 6 months old I'd say.(and I'm really hoping SHE is not pregnant too!!).. the store owner said the mama was about 2 1/2 years old, (previously purchased at the same store)

Not sure if I should seperate the two. I have purchased a second cage for when the time arrives and I've started giving her Alfalfa(SP) hay (instead of the Timothy) and veges everyday... is it okay for the other piggie to have the alfalfa too?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

Thank You!
Kim H

Froggirl009

Cavy Slave
First, You really should have a c&c cage because pigs need a lot of space. If you don't have one already you should find a cavy savvy vet in case there are any problems. You need to seperate the male babies from the females after 3 weeks. You also should be feeding timmothy hay AND alfalfa. Pregnant sows and pigs under 6 months old need alfalfa hay and a kind of grass hay. And as long as you are sure the other pig is a female you can keep them together.

Did you rescue her or did you buy her. First you said you rescued and then you were talking about a store. Sorry if I'm just reading it wrong.

Kimsigns2

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the reply, I have been giving them both kinds of hay...so that's good... and no, I do not have a C&C cage. My cage is sufficient for two and they get plenty of floor time. My daughter would have them out ont he floor 24 hours a day if I would let her.

I'm still finding good info to read on the site... thanks! :)

Thanks

Kimsigns2

Cavy Slave
I actually rescued them from a privately owned store that have respect for. Someone had brought them in the week before, couldn't take care of them anymore. The store just wanted to find them a good home and I wanted to get a pet for my daughter, I looked them over and seem friendly, eyes very bright and alert, doing their little piggie squeek when I Picked them up... seemed to be kid friendly...
figured it was a good match and they needed a home... and here we are... getting ready for babies.

I'm hoping she doesn't have a huge litter, do you have any suggestions about how to adopt them out once they are ready. I really don't want to do the ad in the paper thing. Is there a place to post them through a cavy site to help ensure they go to good homes?

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
You can post the babies for adoption here in the adoptables section of the forum. Most store bought cages are not big enough for one guinea pig much less 2. So you should think about or atleast look into a c&c cage for them. One guinea pig need 7.5 sqare feet and you add 2.5 sguare feet for each additional pig. Thats 10 square feet for 2 and ofcourse more is always better.

Kimsigns2

Cavy Slave
Who said I had a store bought cage? You guys assume way too much on here. The first person that replied was more worried about whether or not I rescued them verses getting them at a store. Who cares? As long as Im' trying to do the right thing for the pregnant cavies - why is it important? I took in these two because they needed a good home and I knew I would give them just that. You automatically assume the worse case scenario... why not be the optomist and think the best unless otherwise informed. I feel like I'm having to defend my decision to adopt these guys to you people - if that makes you feel superior - do it to someone else... -MODERATOR - PLEASE REMOVE ME FROM THE REGISTRATION - I don't need you guys that bad!

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
... and no, I do not have a C&C cage. My cage is sufficient for two and they get plenty of floor time.
You need to get a cage large enough for your pigs. A store bought cage doesn't cut it. Would YOU want to live in a closet? A bathroom? A litter box? Why is it okay for these animals, dependent entirely on you for their living conditions, their medical care, their food, to live in such conditions because you can't be bothered to expend the energy to make them a cage that's actually the appropriate size for them?

I actually rescued them from a privately owned store that have respect for. Someone had brought them in the week before, couldn't take care of them anymore.
No, you bought them. By the sounds of it, you actually helped the owners of this store you have such respect for make a profit twice. They'll replace your pigs with others and make a profit off of them as well.

Who said I had a store bought cage?
Oh, you did. No need for assumptions when you've said it yourself.

The first person that replied was more worried about whether or not I rescued them verses getting them at a store. Who cares? As long as Im' trying to do the right thing for the pregnant cavies - why is it important?
It's important because there are people breeding these animals to sell to pet stores while countless others face euthanasia in shelters, many of which started out in those same pet stores. It's important because supporting those breeders and pet stores makes it okay, ensures they'll keep breeding others to put in the place of those that are bought. And if there's no one willing to stand up and say that's not acceptable, if there's always someone who will go and buy another one and another one and another one, it will never end. Ending the overpopulation problem and the millions of animals that die every year is bigger than your need to have that one pig you couldn't pass up in a pet store.

It's been a while since I've done the baby thing... and I want to make sure that I do the right thing and that I do enough for her...
If this statement is actually true, you'll do what's best for the animals in your care - and that means getting them out of a cage roughly the size of a shoe box and making them a cage that's appropriate for them to live in. It means getting over your childish rants and pettiness and doing the research that's going to ensure your pigs have the best life you can possibly give them.

Kimsigns2

Cavy Slave
First of all, I didn't buy them, and 2nd I said I didn't have a C&C cage. that doesn't mean I have a store bought cage. I may need a little help on the babies, but I don't need help for things I didn't ask for. My animals are not in a shoe box, that's is not what I asked for assistance with. You people need some serious help.

ILHoneyandCustard

Cavy Slave
hello there,

I do not see where she stated that she owned a store cage nor did i hear that the guinea pig had been paid for......However as soon as you said you didn't own a C&C i could see the questions comming.

Just to keep the peace what kind of cage do you have and how big... If you tell people they are more likley to give up.. Unless it is not a good size then you will be told to correct it ect ect..

OK
Find a cavy savy vet- get mumma looked at and the other girl to be sure of the pregnancy.

Alfalfa hay and grass hay need ot be given to mumma and babies when they come along..

Oxbow cavy performance is also to be given to the bubs and any guiena pig under 6 months of age
Looking after a mumma pig isnt that much harder really..

I would advise to start looking for homes as soon as you know the looks and sexes gives you a good 6 weeks to weed out the BAD enquires..

Froggirl009

Cavy Slave
First of all, I didn't buy them, and 2nd I said I didn't have a C&C cage. that doesn't mean I have a store bought cage. I may need a little help on the babies, but I don't need help for things I didn't ask for. My animals are not in a shoe box, that's is not what I asked for assistance with. You people need some serious help.

If it is not a C&C cage and is not a store bought cage then what cage is it? You said that you wanted to do the right things for you pigs. Part of doing the right thing for them is giving them an apropriate cage. C&C cages are cheap and easy to make. Please look at the chart on this page to see how big you cage should be. Guinea Pig Cages, Your Cavy At Home

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
I would advise to start looking for homes as soon as you know the looks and sexes gives you a good 6 weeks to weed out the BAD enquires..

Male babies need to be separated at 21 days, not six weeks.

krittercrazy

Cavy Slave
In the title of your post you ask "am I doing enough". Why are you upset when people tell you where you can improve based on the information that you have given. If you do not give information or are vague about it then you are going to be told the correct size for a cage, the proper food, the reason for not buying from a pet store, etc. as if you do not know it. After all how are we supposed to know anything about you unless you tell us.

shelbert

Cavy Slave
Just because she doesn't have a c&c cage doesn't mean she has a store bought cage. Don't they have a section of this site dedicated to c&c substitutes?

Like someone stated above, you should give the inside measurements of your cage so people can let you know whether or not your cage is sufficient. Also, she never said she purchased the pigs. I actually rescued my first pig from a pet shop(before I found this site), his former owner no longer wanted him and brought him there. He had been there for weeks all alone in a small aquarium. The only money I spent was when I made a 20 dollar donation to a local shelter that the shop supports.

While I agree that adopting a pig from a shelter is the best option, rescuing one from a shop is far better than purchasing one and supporting the actual pet store.

The best thing we can do now is help her with her pregnant pig and the cage if it is proven that her cage isn't big enough.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.