Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Is it a full moon or what?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Please read!

Lately, I have noticed so much hostility going on here and I am not the only one noticing it. I don't know if people have been just generally cranky or if it's near a full moon or what it is. I believe that if we all (including myself) make a little more of an effort that we can improve the board a bit.

I feel that name-calling, cursing and being absolutely downright mean and nasty are totally uncalled for and do not belong here and I think that Treen and CavySpirit would agree. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and should express their opinions but we don't have to be downright cruel in doing so. There is a difference in stating opinions (however strongly) and being cruel. Not everyone here is going to get along and not everyone is going to agree on everything. But I think everyone would agree that we are here because we love our piggies and want what is best for them.

If I respond to a comment I may not understand or need more information on before I feel comfortable answering, I like to ask questions. I feel sometimes it's easier to ask some questions so I know more about the situation.

Topics at times will get heated and sometimes some of us will misunderstand, misread and mis-take the general meaning of posts. I have had to re-read some posts a couple of times to really get the meaning. On the internet it's hard to tell if someone is joking, being sarcastic, etc unless the poster states that he/she is joking or being sarcastic, etc. It's often hard to get your feelings across typing words when you can't see the other person.

Also, CavySpirit has rules regarding grammer and spelling and "chat speak". Everyone does a pretty good job and follows these rules. However, I have seen some posts where nothing is capitalized and no punctuation marks used. It could be that the poster is unaware of these rules or is a new member that may not have read the rules.

But I really think if we all put just a little bit more of an effort into it, we can get some of the hostility down to a more managable level and make the board a better place. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Last edited:

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
It would be nice to have some response to this so I can get a feel of your opinions. Thanks.

DocDolittle

Cavy Slave
I agree, partially. Hostility and any type of name-calling should be kept on the Kitchen forum. I believe that that is the only place we should get down-right mean(and even then, at least keep it a little bit civil), because everyone that goes there has a hot-topic they want to discuss. And for the people who go onto that forum and say, "Let's just all get along." Please, you have to understand that there are several other forums to discuss things on, not just the kithcen forum. However, when people go there, mention something that this site repeats over and over and over again, and refuse to listen to our opinions(i.e., the pig-humping-rabbit thread, or the breeder threads), that is when I think we all have the right to get a little hot-headed.

And please, please, PLEASE, we need to enforce the grammar rule more! It physically hurts me when I see 'u' substituted for you, or 'y' sunstitued for why, or any other chatspeak. This is a forum, not your own personal instant messenger, that says in the rules to use proper grammar. So please, do as it says!

*Steps off of soapbox*

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
The kitchen forum is for "heated" discussions. Name-calling does not belong anywhere on this forum. Do you like to be called names? I sure don't.

As long as there are forums there will be people who will disagree. That is just the way things are. Some people don't take the time to use the search feature and therefore they post questions that have been asked before. This is something that personally doesn't really bother me, but I realize it may bother others. I just answer the question to the best of my ability and move on to other threads.

From now on any major heated discussions on any topic that I see will be moved to the kitchen forum. That was what I was told to do. I have never stated no one has the right to get hot-headed. If the subject is something I am passionate about I get the same way.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
I agree, Ly--I know that everyone has a bad day now and then, but it's just downright inappropriate sometimes to comment nastily when others are trying their best to be civil.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.