Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I am in need of ideas to totally kid-proof

dansamy

Cavy Slave
a C&C cage. I have 3 children. (Ages: 5, 4 and 3) They are VERY mechanically inclined & inquisitive. It doesn't take them very long to take apart almost anything you give them. I was thinking of using a wooden base beneath the grids and using those "U" shaped nails to attach the grids permanently to the wood. Then, the whole top would be affixed in a manner that would allow me to easily remove it for complete cage cleanings. That way I could lift the coroplast out. The sides would use connectors AND plenty of wire ties. I would still use the same locks I have on my pet store cage to keep them from lifting the top. I'm not sure how to incorporate a 2nd lvl though. I'm thinking it will end up bring a 2x1 "loft" or "shelf" for hay & stuff.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
You can use cable ties instead of wire ties if you want. I don't think fastening the cage down to wood with "U" shaped nails would hurt anything. It would make a nice stable base. You could always make one end of the cage with the grids forming an open door that you can lock into place making it easier to get the coroplast box in and out for cleanings. Have you looked through the multi-level closed cages gallery? There are some really great ideas there on how to make pet and kid proof cages.

Saby77

Cavy Slave
I also have young children: 6, 3-1/2, and 1. I knew I wouldn't be able to use the connectors. I got a package of cable ties and they are strong and so easy. I picked them up at Target, so I imagine you can get them most anywhere. Just put them on and cut off the excess. I spent a few dollars for a pack of 100. I used them all on a 2x4 C&C. My youngest pulls on it and leans on it and it doesn't fall apart like it would have with connectors. Plus they are cheap enough and easily found if you need more.

dansamy

Cavy Slave
Saby,

What did you do with the bottom of the cage? Is it attached to anything? What prevents your children from lifting the grid assembly to get into the coroplast? That's what I'm trying to resolve. I already know I'll be using a ton of ties on the thing!

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
Well to tell the truth the grids are pretty darn heavy!! I had trouble picking them up and i've got ten years on your oldest kid, so I don't think you should worry too much unless they are all weight lifters.

dansamy

Cavy Slave
Dagwell,

You haven't met my kids. When they decide they want to disassemble something, its weight is not much consideration. They work cooperatively to get it done. I suppose I should be proud of them for being able to work together on something that would be impossible to do alone, but, dang it!, I'm tired of having to find new, more inventive ways to kid-proof everything! Unfortunately, all brands/styles of fridge locks have been conquered. *sigh* At least now they are old enough to understand that they are supposed to stay out of the refrigerator. We're working on a "safe" distance from the guinea pig cage, but they don't quite "get it" just yet. It's better to be safe than sorry. Pigs are defenseless.

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
Ugh Im never gonna have kids... heh. I think nailing it down would be the best idea then/

dansamy

Cavy Slave
I love my kids, but just like anything else that "follows you home", they are a lot of work & responsibility. I think people should be required to obtain a license before they are allowed to breed anything, including humans. We would have far fewer children in the foster care systems if that were the case. We have to have a license to operate a motor vehicle, but any idiot with functioning reproductive organs can indiscriminately breed a new generation of idiots at will.

I may have made my kids sound like little terrors. They're not. They are just very curious about the world around them & how it works. That leads to some very interesting problem-solving. Like, how do we get into the cabinet above the stove where Momma keeps the snack cakes? They solved that one by the way. It involved several chairs stacked on top of each other & on top of their Little Tikes table. I almost had a heart attack when I caught one of them standing on my stove! That's just one example of "obstacles" they have overcome on the way to getting something that they want. They do keep me on my toes.

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
Heh, you have smart kids, I didn't think they sounded like terrors. Mybe on one side of the cage you could use something lie plexiglass, so your kids could get a good view of the pigs.

Poohbear
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Denise

Cavy Slave
Sounds like my twin daughters! You have my utmost sympathy! *snicker*
dansamy said:
I love my kids, but just like anything else that "follows you home", they are a lot of work & responsibility. I think people should be required to obtain a license before they are allowed to breed anything, including humans. We would have far fewer children in the foster care systems if that were the case. We have to have a license to operate a motor vehicle, but any idiot with functioning reproductive organs can indiscriminately breed a new generation of idiots at will.

I may have made my kids sound like little terrors. They're not. They are just very curious about the world around them & how it works. That leads to some very interesting problem-solving. Like, how do we get into the cabinet above the stove where Momma keeps the snack cakes? They solved that one by the way. It involved several chairs stacked on top of each other & on top of their Little Tikes table. I almost had a heart attack when I caught one of them standing on my stove! That's just one example of "obstacles" they have overcome on the way to getting something that they want. They do keep me on my toes.

dansamy

Cavy Slave
Mine are just as bad as having multiples. Since they are only 15 months apart each, they are close enough in age that they generally cooperate to get mischief done.

Denise

Cavy Slave
Good luck with that!!!

dansamy

Cavy Slave
I do all right. Like I said, they keep me on my toes. I have to constantly think more creatively in order to stay ahead of them. They are a challenge, but what child, raised right, isn't challenging? Only lazy parents find child-rearing easy. The tube becomes surrogate parent far too often in our world today.

critterlover

Cavy Slave
I think it's OK for you to raise your expectations a little. Of course you're kids are smart little cookies and you want them to be creative and explore the house, but there can be certain things that are off limits, such as the guinea pig cage. You don't need to run yourself ragged trying to baby-proof your house (at 3, 4, and 5, they're not baby's anymore, after all). It's important to make sure they have lots of alternative activities to challenge them. Maybe they need their energy re-directed elsewhere?

I would explain to them that they can look at the pigs, but not to touch the cage and what consequence to expect if they do. And follow-through if they misbehave. I'm not big on time-outs, but repeated firm reminders (including physically removing their hands from the cage) and simple explanations (why don't we touch the cage? because we don't want the pigs to get hurt) have worked for my 3 year old.

When other methods don't work, we've found that threats (and actually following through) work great. For example, such as putting certain favorite toys away for a week. Or tossing a favorite juice or treat in the garbage often restores the respect.

dansamy

Cavy Slave
We already use those techniques as well. I'm not trying to keep my house baby-proof, but I am trying to minimize the potential for harm as much as possible.

DaCourt

Cavy Slave
I am sure I am about to ruffle some feathers, but I am going to say this anyway. If you knew your kids were like this, why did you get guinea pigs? They are obviously not the type of kids you want small animals around, and they are also too young. Very few kids at that age are responsible enough. If your kids can't be taught to respect the boundaries of the cage, then you have a big problem.

Maybe put the cage in your room and padlock the door. That is about the only suggestion I can think of. If those pigs are in a main room, and your kids are a determined as you say, then nothing is going to keep them from getting in that cage. This is a bad situation. More thought should have been given prior to getting the pigs.

You could apply for Super Nanny!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Personally, I don't think your kids sound like terrors, I think they sound like bright, inquisitive children. After thinking about this situation for a few days, I think that attaching the grids to a wooden base then putting the entire thing up on a table would help. Having it on a table would raise the height so it's not sitting on the floor and if you use tons of cable ties on the grids, it would be harder for the children to try to take it apart.

I like critterlover's suggestions of " I would explain to them that they can look at the pigs, but not to touch the cage and what consequence to expect if they do. And follow-through if they misbehave". Also, if they do good and follow instructions to stay away from the cage, reward them with letting them pet a piggie with you holding it.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
I just want to point out that my niece once showed me how easily a cage slides off a table. I would suggest if you even think your kids might try to move the whole cage that you also put grids underneath for a bottom and attach the whole thing to the table itself(nails?). If you use the zip(cable) ties their pretty permanent unless you have a good pair of scissors and strong hands. Then the sides can't be lifted, the cage can't be slid, and all you have left to worry about is the top.

LiciaMommycott

Cavy Slave
DaCourt said:
If you knew your kids were like this, why did you get guinea pigs?
I don't think that is the answer. Rather than eliminating every potential issue, far better to teach them how to deal with it. My kids (4 and 2 yrs) have learned a lot about being gentle from our piggies. Obviously they are too young to be trusted alone with the pigs and have no part in their care but they love to sit (with our close supervision) and pet the pigs as well as hand feed them.

I have friends that have completely baby proofed their houses from their toddlers removing every potential item that could cause a problem. They keep their cat food up on the counters, there are no tissue boxes around, there are no trinkets anywhere. Plastic shields are over every button (tv, vcr, etc.) Their kids are fine in their own homes but as soon as they are in someone else's where these items are out and about, they are nightmares because they never learned control.

I agree completely with Ly&Pigs and Critterlover. Keep the pigs safe but also teach the kids how to behave around them and their cage.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.