Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems Skin condition/scratching

Africa

Cavy Slave
I took my piggies to the vet early this week, she took a skin scraping, and saw no mites (although I know this doesnt rule out mites). The fungus/ringworm results only come in 2 weeks time so I am treating for fungus using cream, and also mites.

She also gave me an antibiotic for them in case of secondary infection from scratching. I have to give this to them every 12 hours orally for 2 weeks and the cream once a day. They obviously hate it, and Im getting so upset because its making them not like me for this time period.

I also feel terrible because the vet said to get rid of the care fresh and to use newspaper. Oh my word, this is the worst part, she said the carefresh has a higher surface area for the fungus/ mites to stick to and will also cost a fortune if I have to throw it away every day. So now my boys are on newspaper, with hard floor underneath, and the ramp goes to a larger area to run around in - this area I put cardboard and 1 layer of towels over, but its not as comfortable as their normal environment- also had to take out all toys, hammock etc to reduce risk of contamination/spread with mites. I have to wash the towels every day and throw out the cardboard.

This is as much of a pain for me as it is for them. Their cozy cups arrived in the mail today and couldnt even put them in - have to wait 2 weeks till treatment is up or would mean washing them every day too!

Has anyone else had this experience, any ideas on how to make it a better 2 weeks for them? Feel so bad for them, its like being in hospital for them with an uncomfortable bed!

It would help to know how other people have handled this situation in the past. Thanks

LauraBean

Cavy Slave
Yucky!
I have never had this experience before... but I did have a situation where I took in a piggy with lice.... THAT was fun. Of course, she didn't show any symptons until after quarentine was over (this was before all the helpful internet info! ) I had many of the same instructions! (that was soo many years ago! :D ) I had to take all pigs (14 at the time, plus the chinchilla we were fostering, just to be safe).
Maybe you could at least give them a blanket over their newspaper? (As of right now, I use old cotton bed spreads for my pigs bedding. I have to wash them everyday, but at least I know they are clean and sanitary!)
(( HINT HINT! LOL!!!!! I saw sale on fleece((it is a light blueish greenish color)) at Wal Mart in JC a week or so ago... $1.85 a yard! :D. i'm going to get some myself as soon as I can!)
But I bet they'd be more comfy on something other than just paper.
I hate that the boys have to be without their toys!!!!! Poor dears!
Good luck!

Africa

Cavy Slave
Thanks, yes I know, it breaks my heart to watch them without all their luxuries :-(

Maybe I will go buy some more blankets... wow, you wash yours every day, thats pretty diligent ;-). Not looking forward to the electric bill though, especially after a $200 vet bill!
At the end of the day though it is all worth it :)

LauraBean

Cavy Slave
WOW!!! They must charge a lot here!!! My "lice incident" only cost me about 140 dollars... but that was back in North Carolina.... do you mind if I ask where you go ?
It's really not too bad to keep up... I'm a stay home mom/housewife, and I like to have things on a schedeual... the "piggie pittle blankets" are on it. Heck, it only takes 20 minutes! Roll up, take outside, shake out in the yard,(our dog, who is a Rottweiler,Sander, loves this part!!!!! Nothing better, in a dogs mind, than smelling and having a good tinkle on pig poo!!!! lol) wipe coro, wash, replace. My electric bill hasn't suffered though...(granted, I also procrastinate on regular laundry until I can't anymore, LOL. I HATE LAUNDRY!)
You're right though... at the end, it's worth it.
Maybe you could find them "disposasble toys". My girl love plain old cardboard boxes,soda containers,grits tubes,paper grocery sacks,etc.
Everyday washing isn't bad, but it does take a little time. :D

Africa

Cavy Slave
I go to the K-State vet school clinic, they are a little on the steep side but they known to be very thorough and have a good reputation!

So you're a stay home mom, I seriously cant wait to get to this stage of my life, where I can just stay at home and take care of all my babies, human and other!! :D At least I think its an awesome job!

I have decided that if Im going to be washing 2 towels every day, I may as well wash 6, so today they are a little more comfy than yesterday! And great idea about the soda containers, havnt tried that one yet :) Thanks!

Africa

Cavy Slave
Yes I have, thanks though. I started treating for mites on my own with Ivermectin, then thought it was best to just go to the vet so they could tell me for sure which one it was - lice or fungus.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.