Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Finally have my cage!

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave
I went out last weekend and bought everything! Right now its just home to my two girls but I'm getting my male Pickle neutered this july and once hes healed he'll be going to be in there with them.

The first level is for my new fosters who I'm getting some time this week, two males. the top level is for my girls (and pickle). I've added some pictures of the girls in there too.

Let me knwo what you think.

(stole this idea from some one here just loved the idea!)

(Clover and Lila, Clover is the front one and Lila is in the back)

Milkingit

Cavy Slave
Great job and very cute piggies!

I love your hayrack.

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave
thanks. like I said under the picture the hay rack Idea came from this forum. I love it cause it adds more room.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
It looks great!

Don't forget to quarantine the fosters for 3 weeks first though. Many illnesses can be spread through the air.

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave
don't worry these boars I'm fostering have been at the rescue for a few months now and have been vet checked. The rescue is home based. So I'm not to worry. they will be checked over before they come here by my vet as well.

WheekiePiggy123

Cavy Slave
Great cage! Your piggies are so cute and I love the hay rack.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
The cage looks really great and it's awesome that you're willing to foster!

However, despite the pigs coming from a home based rescue and being checked by a vet (or vets), there is still probably cause for quarantine.

NicholsS10

Cavy Slave
It's awesome that your are fostering! However, I would still quarantine them in a different room as well. Guinea pigs are really good at hiding symptoms, so when you just start to notice that something is wrong, usually they have been sick for a couple weeks. So the point is that they may appear healthy, but actually could just be at the beginning of the illness.

wheekers01

Cavy Slave
I agree with everyone! Your cage is great! I think it is so cool that you are fostering! We never have any guinea pigs at our humane society, that I could foster. I think that quarantining is still a good idea, even though they have been checked by vet(s).

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave
ok gals (and guys if there is any) I get it LOL I will house them in a smaller petstore cage for a while ;) By the way they had some blood work done too. So I'm hoping a week or so should be okay for quarantine.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave
It is but as the link us suggested say and I qoute:

The only time you don't have to do this if your pig comes from a reputable rescue where the animal has already been quarantined for three weeks.

The only exception would be adopting an animal where you know the owner and the surroundings, and you've had the opportunity of observing the animal for some weeks in a healthy environment.

I know the rescue, I've seen the piggies, and they have been there for months now.

But thank you for your help :D The link has been very helpful!

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
If the pigs you are going to be fostering live with or in close proximity to other pigs at the rescue, it's probably still going to be in their best interest, and in the best interest of the pigs already in your care, to be quarantined.

Best of luck to you and them, whatever you decide.

Last edited:

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave
If the pigs you are going to be fostering live with or in close proximity to other pigs at the rescue, it's probably still going to be in their best interest, and in the best interest of the pigs already in your care, to be quarantined.

Thank you for you advice. Luckily shes got this down to an art and does this before she adopts or allowes anyone to foster any of the animals from furry to slimmy. I don't need to worry since she houses each animal in differnt housing. But aren't I lucky to have such a wonderful rescue! Thanks again! And I'll post pictures of the new ones ASAP.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.