Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Fleece?

PiggyGal

Cavy Slave
I heard of MANY people using fleece as bedding. I just don't really get how to use it...
Would I just lay it down on the bottom of their cage and then that's it?
And how often would you have to clean it? I have four WONDERFUL pigs, but like all piggies do there "business" quite alot, and it seems like it would be alot of work to get all the 'stuff' off of it.
Could you just kind of shake it (getting the poop off) and then just wash it like you would anything else?
Is it okay for them to nibble and/or eat the fleece?
Would it matter if it was newborn pigs on the fleece, and not adults?
Would you recomend it over aspen, carefresh, and/or pine? I want to make my little Pig's as comfy as possible in there home! Thanks!

Check out the sticky the person above posted, it has everything on caring and preparing for fleece that you need to know. I definitely recommend it over any other type of bedding. It's way easier to clean, cheaper in the long run, looks better in my opinion, and the pigs love it.

I use fleece on top of used (broken link removed). The regular size will fit a 2x2 section of a cage. I use a hand-held vacuum to suck up the poops and bits of stray hay at least twice a day (sometimes I use a little hand held broom and dustpan when I don't feel like hooking up the vacuum). Sometimes I just pick up the poops by hand when I pass by and toss them in the trash (I wash my hands after of course!).

Once a week I take the bedding outside and shake it out to get the hay bits and hair off the best I can and I wash it. I have several sets so that the pigs don't have to wait for a clean cage (especially since I have to go the laundry mat). I've never been a big user of vingegar in my wash, but if the laundry starts to get smelly I'll put some in.

Age shouldn't matter for keeping pigs on fleece. As far as nibbling, tasting it is fine and they'll probably be curious and do this. As long as they aren't eating holes out of it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.