Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello from new member Elle

Sponge

Cavy Slave
Hi all.

I first of all would like to say a big thanks to CavyCages for such a useful site, full of information and helpful folks in the forums. I have learned so much that I didn't know!

I have not yet got my piggies. I am going to visit a shelter on Sunday (I can hardly wait!) and hopefully find a pair that I can pick up after everything has arrived and been built/washed/sorted/filled!

I had a guinea pig (many years ago) when I was quite young and when I look back, I'm full of sadness for little Mossop. We had been told by the petshop owner that a cage full of sawdust would be fine and we fed him on rabbit food! He lived for a good long while and I was always sociable with him, but I can't help feeling guilty that I didn't give him as full a life as he could have had.

Now I've wanted guinea pigs for a long time (about two years) but always put it off because I didn't have enough time or money and some of my family suffer with asthma which they were worried about. But now the urge is too strong. So I've spent the last fortnight buying bits and pieces towards homing my soon-to-be-piggies, researching the best beddings, food, hay etc.

In fact, I've become so obsessed with giving them a good home I've neglected work a little bit. Oops.

So on Sunday I will be visiting a nearby shelter in Wollaton area (for anyone in the Notts area who can't find one), the lady who runs it sounded lovely on the phone and said we could have a look. I've compliled a great big list of questions for her and all in all, in another week or so I should be ready for them!

Now just to decide their names. I'm not sure if I'm having boars or sows yet, it depends on what she has rescued recently.

Sorry for the long post. I'm just really excited and eager to get everything right for my piggies.

Elle/Sponge

Sponge

Cavy Slave
Well, I got my baby guinea pigs yesterday and gave them some time to settle in. They are 7 week old boars (brothers) but not a great deal is known about them. I don't know what breed they are either. So if anyone could shead some light on that for me...

I've named them Butch and Sundance, Sundance is the dominant one who is rumblestrutting one minute and protecting Butch the next! I've only handled them each twice for about 3 minutes a time. they are quite skittish and I don't want to overload them.

I only have one pigture of Sundance at the minute...

I love the smatter of blonde on his cheek, he has freckles like me!

Skeetersmom

Cavy Slave
So cute! Good luck. Can't wait to see pictures of both of them!

Sponge

Cavy Slave
Butch is quite shy until I have him wrapped up on my knee. I think Sundance makes him feel nervous with all the dominance behaviour going on.

My brother has dubbed them "Butch Guinea and the Sundance Pig". I think he likes them more than he is letting on.

I'll get a pigture of Butch tomorrow.

Thanks for your reply :)

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
Oh, what a cutie pie! Congratulations on adopting a great pair!

Kiki & Marissa

Cavy Slave
Congrats on your new piggies! So adorable. Love the pic.. Its sounds like you are going to be a good piggy parent too.... I have learned a lot from this website and the friends that I met through here. So good luck to you and your new piggies! Keep us all updated.....

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.