Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Alternatives Please help!

piggiesmomma

Cavy Slave
Ok, I have been playing around for the last weekend with alternate housing until I can get a C&C cage. But I have an issue. I am using an old dog kennel and I have attached the little playpen thingie to it to give piggie a little more room. I love it cause at night I can close the kennel for bedtime. Well.......guess what.....today piggie climbed over the pen!! I notice most of you have the open top cages, do you not worry about this?? Or am I doing something wrong??? I am gonna add a couple of pics of the area, please be honest...k? Thanks for all iof you help in advance!
PS
Piggie loves the set up!!! he seems to be playing more now!! Also, is that big enough for one piggie? thanks!:)

trump_cinnamon

Cavy Slave
It looks fine, however, those playpens are a little shorter than normal grids, and guinea pigs can jump over them if they want to. Just try to find something taller to use as grids, or place them on something and make them taller. That looks big enough for more than one pig! But why do you keep them in the dog crate at night?

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Ditto - those playpens are not as sturdy as grids and much shorter. I have had pigs escape from those easily. They usually cannot jump out of the C&Cs and they usually love it so much they do not want to leave their cages.

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
I have had one of those playpens. They are only about 11" inches tall- if that. The grids are about 14-15 inches square. When I had my small animal pen, it had the little semi circles around the top perimeter of the pen. I had seen Coco (My old pig try to get out, but he was unsuccessful.) I was very unhappy with the pen, so, three or four days later, i just returned it. It was very bulky, and the grids, were cheaper for the amount.
Grids are much easier.
In the picture, your guinea pig looks like he/she would have no trouble at all getting over those. He/she is about 1/3 of the height standing on the ground, and guinea pigs can jump fairly high, but jumping 15" is rare, so as I said before, grids are the best.
**The dog pen is a great idea!**

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
I'd say it was more like several inches than 11. The one pictured above is short.

piggiesmomma

Cavy Slave
I love the dog kennel as well, but it only has just enough room for sleep area....a little food.....hay and a pooppoo corner for bedtime. I would love to give him free range but I dont want him hurt! thanks for all the help so far! my recliner is right beside his living area so, when I am sitting there, he gets to run free cause I can watch him.

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
As I said before, if you can, get grids ASAP! I got mine for I believe $13 at Bed Bath & Beyond. Make sure they are absolutely no more than 15" square. If the holes are more than 1.5", you risk the animal getting stuck, etc...

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Until you get the grids, move hideys and other objects away from the sides so your pig can't stand on them and get out more easily.

Pigs don't sleep through the night like humans. They are always active. So if you can, don't shut him in a smaller area at night. He will appreciate the extra space.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.